Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus 5.2 beta (Closed limited beta)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

For information only:

Just received an e-mail fom Webroot about a new beta: Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus 5.2 beta

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not yet tried, but a bit curious as to which antivirus engine it is using.

Just wondering if Webroot will still be offering the standalone Spy Sweeper after version 5.2.

Please note that this is a closed limited beta, not a public beta, so limited information is available.

2. scoopnoggin

scoopnoggin Registered Member

The Anti-Virus is Sophos

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Oh really? :eek: :eek: :eek:

The licensing fee should be very expensive...

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

what??
    whats the rush?
    its was only recently that they launched version:5,but now a AV+AS edition?
    i don't know when will security companies stop thinking becoming jack-of-all!

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg stupid webroot they need to fix spysweeper 5 before they add antivirus to it

6. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

as far as i know most of the problems are already fixed in the new build (atleast i dont got any problems)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when ever i open the nbew build of spysweeper my pc is slow and slugish but when i finish updating it and close it my pc returns to normal so not completely.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just tried the 5.2 beta. It is quite stable, quite good, and no slow down on machine. :D :D

9. Legendkiller

some screenshots dude

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are they trying to compete with onlinearmour with av?
    I think it isnt really a good idea they need to make the resourse useage better on spsyweeper 5.0 and make it so that it doesnt make your pc bsod like once a week which mine has since I installed it.

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Legendkiller,

Since this is a closed limited beta, beta testers are not allowed to post any detailed information for this time according to the non-disclosure agreement. Sorry about that, but I can say that the main screen UI is slightly different and better organized.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have already sent my comments to them. It is actually not that easy to persuade users to ditch their existing AV and use Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus 5.2 instead, especially when the users have more than one year of subscription for their existing AV. There are super fans of NOD32, KAV and BitDefender.

Not sure what their direction is and not sure if they will be offering the standalone Spy Sweeper in the future.

13. Legendkiller

ok,no probs.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye because it they do they only do spysweeper with antivirus only they will lose so many sales.

15. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I am running the beta as well. Going through some tests. The one thing that stands out is its footprint. When turning on a browsers, i am showing 65,000k - 75,000k. I am hoping they streamline the code before then take it out of beta.

Does anyone know who to email/ forum for comments on the betao_O

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi budfox,

You can provide you comments in two ways:

(1) On the main Spy Sweeper Window, click on the button on the top right hand corner "Beta Feedback", and it will bring you to a web page feedback form. I don't like that form, because the boxes are too small to provide comments.

(2) Create a ticket as if you are using a released version. This is the way I did.

;)

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Sophos and Webroot join forces to combat growing problem of internet security threats

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/10/webroot-sophos.html

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

This is interesting.
    What does Task Manager show for resource usage?

19. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I can't give the memory usage figures here since it is a closed beta, but so far, I don't see high CPU usage with this 5.2 beta. No lock ups, no hangs or freezes, and is lighter than 5.0.7.

20. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Is there a way to nominate as a beta tester?

21. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi mrhero,

You can Sign Up to be a Beta Program Participant here

http://www.webroot.com/beta/beta.php

Attached Files:

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used to be a beta tester for webroot for 5.0 but then as beta go they can screw up your system and it gave me a dll error message that i fixed in the end.

this is a warning to all beta testers be prepared encase it goes wrong!

23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I started beta testing Spy Sweeper from 4.0. From my experience, I only have slight slow down after installing 5.0.X but I never have BSOD, dll error or lockups, because I always install security software clean and fresh. I NEVER mix previous versions with new versions or uninstall old version and then install new version. I always try to do clean install to prevent conflicts or incompatability issues. On the contrary, I have lockups in the first few versions in 4.0.X but that has been fixed in later versions.

I would say that 5.2 beta had been very stable and lighter in comparison with 5.0.X. High memory usage doesn't mean that you will have slow down or lockups. Lockups are usually caused by high CPU usage or conflict with other on-access drivers and by NOT high memory usage. Memory usge of CounterSpy 1.5.82 is high, but CPU usage of CounterSpy is not high so that I never have slow down using CounterSpy 1.5.82. Similary, I don't notice high CPU usage in Spy Sweeper 5.2 and I don't feel slown down after installing 5.2 beta even in a highly overkill environment created specially for testing for compatabilities with other security programs.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very true. high memory usage doesnt mean a slow down no but, when ever i open up the spysweeper interface it slows down my computer and makes my music jump because of the high cpu usage for like 20 seconds.

why havent they realased any updates to 5.0 spy sweeper recently? to help correct the high usage problem?

25. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I think the developers are now working hard to make 5.2 better. Actually, CPU utilization in 5.2 has been improved, and I hope they can even make it better when they release it. I would guess that there maybe no interim builds and the next version would be 5.2. Haven't received any target release date for 5.2 yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.