Spy Sweeper Can't Open some Files???

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by foolproof, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foolproof

foolproof Registered Member

SS (ver 4.5.9 b709) tells me that it can't access some files. Otherwise it seems to work like a charm, so my assumption is that the cause is not SS. I have a feeling that there is some significance to the fact that the files (there are 26 of them in total) are from c:\recycler, but shouldn't SS still be able to check what might be hiding there. If anyone knows what this means and what if anything I should do about it, please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I receive similar warnings after scans of Antivir.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

These are the Norton Recycler "hidden files" and supposedly allow you to restore deleted files.

They have in the past here been discussed as "proprietary rootkit" type files and caused a lot of controversy about the time that sony installed its notorious protection rootkit.

If you scan with Rootkit Revealer these files will turn up as "hidden from windows"

I suppose there is a possibilty these fies could be used as malware holders or used to gain hidden access.

IMO there is little to be gained from using this feature of Norton's recycle bin.

Right click the recycle bin icon>properties> you can configure how much (if any) space you want to give these files and how long you want to keep them.

There is an option under the "norton Protection" tab to disable the feature for each drive if you want. Have a look amongst the tabs there.

Others here may know better

Lbd.

4. foolproof

foolproof Registered Member

Getting rid of Norton is going to have to go on my short list. It has been a problem since a trial copy came with this system about two years ago. Thanks Longboard. It's always nice to have these little mysteries solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.