Spy Sweeper 5.8 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A couple of weeks ago I frequently received an invitation for the Spy Sweeper 5.8 BETA (currently at 5.7.x). I haven't received an invitation for quite some time, it no longer appears when I manually update the program.

I know that the Spy Sweeper isn't very popular here, but it has some very nice features.

So, that beta has been going on for quite a while. I've read NOTHING about it.
    It's good that they take their time, I don't want another Pctools experience.

Has anyone read something about this new version ? Any idea when it will be out ?

(For me, dropping the Spy Sweeper is not an option, since it doesn't cause performance or other problems, and I have a license that lasts well into 2009)

I actually think they should be at version 6 by now, as long as they don't follow Pctools' lead. They probably got too caught up in the antivirus and firewall business. And they are forking in cash with their auto-renewal policy and by understaffing their technical support. If they continue to follow this short-term quarterly earnings approach (I presume their CEO gets a big bonus :rolleyes: ) , without investing in real product improvements, they will one day be left behind, and cease to be a major player in the antispyware industry.

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I signed up for the beta in December, and I haven't heard nothing. I haven't got any invitation to participate. When did you get an invitation? Wondering why I didn't got picked out. The support said they would accept all who signed up.

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Webroot probably had a few problems with beta 5.8 and decided to hold off until a later date. Seems like the same thing with beta 5 version. It took them several weeks to replace it with another beta one.

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I used to be a Spy Sweeper fan in the past, but I haven't used it for quite some time, although my license is still valid. Starting from 5.X, Webroot designed Spy Sweeper in such a way that it may only work if it is the only security software installed. It causes lock up or slow down in some of the PCs and you can hardly find a turnaround sometimes. Maybe it is better now, and I will try it again some time in future.

BTW, I didn't receive any notification for beta testing for more than a year.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I use several other real-time security programs alongside the Spy Sweeper, the Spy Sweeper (version WITHOUT antivirus) doesn't cause any problems. But I load and update the Spy Sweeper manually, and I customize all my security programs.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I got the invitation this year, for several weeks (showed up when I performed a manual update). But no longer for the past several weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.