Spy Sweeper 5.3 does not complete a sweep

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dcdc, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I downloaded the latest program update and a few days later ran a sweep. SS scans the memory and registry, and then stops with the message that no malware was found. Webroot is aware of the problem. Text below from their site:

------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge Base
    Webroot > Top Spy Sweeper Articles >

Spy Sweeper 5.3 sweeps the registry and then says "Congratulations!" without finding any threats
    The issue with Spy Sweeper 5.3 (w/wo Anitvirus) sweeping the registry and then displaying a "Congratulations!" message has been identified and we are working on a permanent resolution. Unfortunately, we do not have a workaround at this time. However, we do expect to have the problem fixed soon. Once the issue has been resolved on our end, all you will need to do is update your definitions and the problem should be fixed. If you've selected to automatically download definition updates then Spy Sweeper will update on its own.

If you have any further problems or issues that we can assist with, please open a ticket with our Support Team so that we may assist you further. You may click here to submit a your request , or you can visit our online Support Center at http://www.webroot.com/support.

-----------------------------------------------------

This problem is the biggest bug I have noticed in the 2-3 years I have had SS. It certainly does not inspire confidence in the application, and makes me wonder if the scanner is not functioning properly, is the live protection component working correctly either?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

spysweeper always has problems on my pc.
    it blue screened twice closing IE7 with the shields active lol.
    lodore

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I had the same symptoms, no files scanned at all!

For now I un-installed it and it's companion product window washer which crashes on application error.

What's worse I have a 2 year license. If it isn't fixed soon I'll ask for my money back.

Meanwhile, I'm cowering behind my alphashield, router and BD 9.0!

and firewall ZA Pro v7...

This is all the fault of global warming:)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only problems with my pc are spysweeper causing blue screens and the bad ram:D
    lodore

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Lodore:

Are you serious! I bet you have pulled SS off?

Tell us now, it won't hurt!:D

Seriously, what else are you working on PC wise these days? other than SS of course!

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well most stuff on my pc is working.
    i havent had a problem for a few days now.
    but if i have the spysweeper shields on and at any time close IE7 then it blue screens this happerned twice with the shields on same situation just closeing IE7 with the shields on.
    so for now its back to ondemand only again
    lodore

7. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

About Webroot's Window Washer, I have not had any real problems with it.

One thing I do find annoying is that when WW is cleaning, I notice by watching Process Explorer that WW's cleaning causes Spy Sweeper to spring to life, using up maybe 30% of the CPU time and slowing the cleaning down; apparently SS does not like what WW is doing (deleting files). The annoyance of course is that both programs are Webroot products, and even though I checked the 'ignore other Webroot programs' option in SS, it does not stop SS from kicking in.

By the way, there is a nice little article about Process Explorer in PC World, March 2007: "Find Out What Your PC Is Really Up To". Go to www.sysinternals.com for the free download.

8. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

This is the latest information I could find on their site:

----------------------------------------------------

Knowledge Base
    Webroot > Top Spy Sweeper Articles >

Spy Sweeper 5.3 sweeps the registry and then says "Congratulations!" without finding any threats
    The issue with Spy Sweeper 5.3 (w/wo Anitvirus) sweeping the registry and then displaying a "Congratulations!" message has been identified and we have implemented a fix in our latest definition update.

Please follow these steps to update your Spy Sweeper definitions:

1. Open Spy Sweeper

2. Click Options

3. Click the Update tab

4. Click Update Spy Sweeper button; wait for Spy Sweeper to complete the update

5. Run a sweep and the problem should be fixed

If you are unable to update Spy Sweeper, or if you are continuing to experience problems with your sweep, please follow the steps below:

1. Open Spy Sweeper

2. Click Home

3. Hold the CTRL+ALT buttons on your keyboard

4. Place your mouse cursor (arrow) over the Spy Sweeper logo that appears at the top of the program

5. Double-left click on the logo while holding the CTRL+ALT buttons; you should now see 6 buttons appear in place of the logo

6. Click Download Full Definitions; wait for Spy Sweeper to complete the update

7. Run a sweep and the problem should be fixed

If you have any further problems or issues that we can assist with, please open a ticket with our Support Team so that we may assist you further. You may click here to submit a your request , or you can visit our online Support Center at http://www.webroot.com/support.

--------------------------------------------

The problem with this "fix" at least for me is that the Full Definitions apparently do not download. I say this because if they did, it took only a fraction of a second, and even with DSL, that's too fast.

9. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I just downloaded the latest SS definitions; from the download time it must have been a much larger file than usual.

The good news is that a sweep now goes to completion instead of stopping with the registry portion.

Additionally, the sweep was much faster than it has been. A complete sweep of my system used to take about 16 minutes; now it takes only 10. That's a welcome improvement, provided that nothing in terms of malware detection was sacrificed for speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.