SpwareBlaster/SpyWareGuard:

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by SG1, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I was told that SpwareBlaster need not be open or on, in the normal course of things; further, I do have SpyWareGuard always on. What I'm not sure of, is this: if "something bad" were to happen,

1) is it just SpyWareGuard that would pop up, and alert me?
    2) or, is it SpwareBlaster that would come up/open?

I ask mostly, as DRW's av (likely due to heuristic anylisis being enabled), does not let me open SpwareBlaster - I get a Terminate or Shutdown window. I 've written DRW's CEO on this last night and other FPs, and will see what if anything happens about FPs.

But, if I disable heuristic anylisis, and possibly lower the armor that could be a bad thing perhaps(?) Yes, I do have certain files and DIRs excluded from scanning in DRW av, but it doesn't help.

So right now, the query is: if anything bad happens, I think SpyWareGuard could open if that's how JC's program/s work, but with DRW's heuristic approach currently enabled, SpwareBlaster is not allowed to open. And if it can't open, would I be in trouble?

Thanks, for help/info
    SG1 (Pat)

2. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Writing this update to thank folks in varied sections of Forums, and Bellgamin in particular for his suggestion that worked (in "Other anti-virus software" category).

So others may know, should the need arise: I disabled Kernel protection in SpiderGuard, and ta-da, I can now >finally open< SpywareBlaster w/out DRW av giving me a window with only choices of Terminate or Shutdown (SpywareBlaster).

But, my questions in 1st post here remain: if something bad arises, is it Spywareguard or Spywareblaster, that would come up and alert one to trouble?

Best, SG1 (Pat)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

SWB just sets killbits in registry and silently blocks writing to it of bad stuff.

SG on the other hand, will pop up alert if for instance a browser hijacker tries to take over...

try it.. open IE, go to another site, Tools/Internet Options and try to Use Current for home page, then OK it... SG will jump up...

see screenshot.. LOL... I also have AdWatch in AdAware PRO on, so it also alerted me.. cool...

TAS

Attached Files:

• 041.GIF
      041.GIF
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.