SPSS 17

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by erikar, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikar

erikar Registered Member

Hi,

For some reason SPSS 17 is blocked by the firewall in ESET Smart Security 4.0. SPSS 17 has been working ok for a while, but suddenly it stopped working. If I disable the firewall everything is fine, but that's not a very safe of doing it. How can I configure my setup to fix this?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Givan

Givan Registered Member

I am having the exact same problem, did you find a solution yet? Please let me know!

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the firewall is blocking certain communication, always enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS section of the firewall setup, replicate the problem, disable logging and then check the firewall log for details about blocked connections.

4. gws

gws Registered Member

I followed your instructions and logged the events and nothing shows in the log window at all. Have tried all options " Automatic, Learning, Interactive " , no matter what I have tried SPSS 17 will not start unless I disable the Firewall.

Any suggestions

gws

5. Up4it4ever

Up4it4ever Registered Member

I too am having the same problem. I managed to get the logging working and found:
    01/12/2009 13:30:31 No usable rule found 192.168.1.100 224.0.0.252 IGMP System
    01/12/2009 13:30:31 No usable rule found 192.168.1.100 239.255.255.250 IGMP System

No matter what I try I can't get the program to launch. Any ideas?

6. gws

gws Registered Member

Bump !!!!

Marcos any suggestions o_O?

gws

7. elyoh

elyoh Registered Member

I'm also experiencing exactly the same behaviour.

8. Marcos

Do you have the "Allow incoming streams from the Internet via the IGMP protocol" enabled in the IDS setup?

9. Marcos

That's weird, something should be logged if a connection is blocked. Try creating a pcap log per the instructions here and let me know when done.

10. elyoh

elyoh Registered Member

I didn't have that option checked but I enabled it, rebooted and the issue persisted.

I then proceeded to create the pcap log. How can I submit that?

11. JimM

JimM Registered Member

I am having the same exact problem with SPSS. Learning Mode does not do it, setting the entire directory tree as an exclusion does not do it. This program is WIDELY used for statistical data mining, especially n college campuses. The answer would be great. Thanks

12. pctek4456

pctek4456 Registered Member

The issue was resolved in the latest version of NOD32 v4.0.467.

13. camngnp223

camngnp223 Registered Member

I'm using Eset v.4.0.474.0 and the problem still has NOT been resolved. The only way that I can get SPSS 17 to run is to disable the firewall!
    Cam
    :thumbd:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  14. acolhua

acolhua Registered Member

Its the same problem with SPSS v17.0 or v18.0. I had comunication with the ESET support team, but they didnt know how to fix it. o_O .
    The way I work with SPSS is turning off the firewall while SPSS is starting. Once SPSS is fully working, I turn on the firewall, and I dont have any problem again. However I am agree it should dont be hapening... Please, if somebody have the solution... share it!!! :D

15. camngnp223

camngnp223 Registered Member

Actually, I have to leave the eset firewall turned off for all of the time that SPSS is running. If I turn the firewall back on after SPSS has started up, SPSS will run for 3 or 4 minutes before reporting that the SPSS engine has stopped working. After that, the programme doesn't quit but it is impossible to perform any tasks.
    A fix would be great. Are eset even working on this?
    Cam
    o_O

16. dwmtractor

dwmtractor Registered Member

I don't have SPSS or the $$$ to buy it, but this sounds suspiciously like a similar problem I had in the Timberline accounting package which uses a Pervasive database for its back end (see this thread). In our case the software started, but then would get booted randomly, usually in the middle of a large read/write operation leading to corrupted financial data (which made me real popular with the accounting dept.)

I never found anything meaningful in the local logs, but I use ESET Remote Administrator and it showed a couple of errors in IDS. Despite suggestions from ESET personnel that disabling certain IDS elements should fix it, I found that only disabling the firewall entirely stopped the problem.

There is clearly something more in the IDS engine than just the items that are switchable in the various setup checkboxes. Whatever it is, ESET doesn't seem to know how to turn that something on or off apart from disabling the entire firewall module. I have begged for an option to absolutely whitelist certain IP addresses or ranges from any firewall/IDS screening, but as usual my pleas are falling on deaf ears. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.