Spokeo Website gives out way too much personal info for a small fee!!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was made aware of this website through a friend that warned me about how much information this site contains on just about anyone. You should go to this website, and type your name in to see how much information it has on you. To get a full report you have to pay a fee of course, but it gives out too much even without paying. I know there are other websites like this on the web that have been around for some time now, but this one seems to be worse than the rest. http://www.spokeo.com/

If you want to have your information removed from this site then click on the privacy link at the bottom of the page. Then past the url of the link that contains the information on you that you want removed. After that you have to enter your e-mail address, and click on remove from listing. Then go to your inbox, and click on the link to have your information removed. I did not like the fact that i had to give my e-mail address to them, but its much better than having all your info for the world to view! I just hope they don't add my info back to their site later with my e-mail address included.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Personally, I would stay far away from sites that profess to offer personal information on computer users.

As you noted, most of them probably want to empty your pockets and cannot be trusted.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sheesh next time, create a one time email just for this junk! :) LOL

Oh and use a VPN or Tor so they don't get your IP cause then they might try seeing where you live now and snag you again, LOL...

----> spokeospamremoval@

By the way removing data online does not prevent public records from sending new information in the future. To permanently have your records sealed, you will need to contact your county's records department.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My personal observation regarding this Spokeo site is that they are using information from the public utility records. Reason I say that is because our local utility company currently has mistakenly listed our home address as a property we own but don't reside at, and Spokeo is giving out the same misinformation. I doubt that it is coincidence. And I'm definitely not going to contact Spokeo and try to set them straight. In fact, I entered about a half dozen friends names before I entered my own... just to throw them off my trail. ;) :cool:

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.