Splitting Image Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by koolsand, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koolsand

koolsand Registered Member

Hi,
    I have cloned my hdd to ntfs formatted external hdd and the size of the image is 8 gb. Now i have gone for a higher capacity external hdd and i would like to have it in fat32 since i will be accessing it from mac and linux. Now i would like to transfer the 8 gb to new hdd which is fat32 and it wont allow more than 4gb in file size. i would like to split the 8 gb image. How do i do it with acronis? (i should be able to restore the image even after splitting them).

Thanks

2. Thamuz

Thamuz Registered Member

koolsand,

Let me get this straight. You want to restore an NTFS image to a FAT32 drive, correct?

You can use archive splitting to backup the NTFS drive in 4GB increments.

-Thamuz

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

In Acronis-speak, you didn't Clone you made a Backup. To get the backup Image on the new external, can you do another backup to it? It will be automatically split in 4Gb pieces.

4. koolsand

koolsand Registered Member

You are right...I did nt clone. Its a backup image of my vista os. I dont want to create the backup image once again. I would like to remain with the old one. since it has got my plain vanilla install of my vista and the softwares i use. So the question is i want to split the .tib into 4gb files(to copy them into my fat32 external hard disk). is it possible to do this with acronis true image home version 10.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Ah, I see ... in that case, you will have to use a third party splitting program. Or you can restore that Image to a spare drive then re-make the backup with the smaller split pieces.

There was another thread a few weeks ago about splitting after the fact ... I don't recall what software was recommended though.

Consult your Google Gods for File Splitter and see what comes up.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You could partition the external drive and format one of the partitions NTFS and leave the rest as FAT 32.
    I would suggest you name the partitions so whatever drive letters are allocated there will be no confusion. It is good idea to name all your drive partitions anyway if you have not done already.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello koolsand,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis True Image does not feature splitting of already existing backups. Backups can only be split during their creation process.
    You can use any third-party application to split an existing Acronis True Image backup, but it will have to be combined back in order to be recognized by Acronis True Image.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.