Splitting a Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Confuqua, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confuqua

Confuqua Registered Member

Is there a way, using XP SP2 tools, to split a single HD partition containing the OS, applications and data into two partitions, one containing the OS/applications and the other containing data?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, not without deleting all of the existing data.

You can do it with TI by using a trick. Note that these steps are to the best of my memory and require you to read the screens carefully. You might try searching the forum since probably better instructions have been posted many times.

First create a backup of your partition just in case something goes wrong.

Using TI, create a Secure Zone on the disk the size you want the second partition to be. Do not enable the Startup Recovery Manager!
    After the Secure Zone is created, immediately go back into TI to manage the Secure Zone and delete it. Select the option not to have the now unallocated space returned to an existing partition.
    Now you can go into XP's Disk Management and assign a letter to the unallocated space and format it.

You can now copy your data files into the new partition and delete them from the old C partition.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

very sneaky use of secure zone - I knew it had to have a purpose
    :cautious:

Rather than copy data files and delete them from C: assuming that most people
    would keep their data in my docs I think it preferable to go to My Docs properties and change the drive letter from C: to whatever the new partition drive letter is and then accept the offer that windows will make to transfer all data

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is handy at times, alright.
    Yes, moving the location of My Docs as described to the data partition is a good idea if you make use of My Docs. I only use it as a temporary storage area but that is just the way I do things.

5. Pinchas

Pinchas Registered Member

it's better to use Acr disk director suite 10.0

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Confuqua,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that previous posters are correct. There are no tools included in Windows XP to split partitions. You can use the workaround described by seekforever, but please notice that there is an Acronis solution specifically for managing partitions - Acronis Disk Director. It allows you to resize, move, copy, split, and merge partitions without losing your data, and some other functions as well.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.