Spliting the Image question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rrice, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrice

rrice Registered Member

I use TI at work to image my customers hard drives, before wiping and reloading. It saves me a lot of time, and makes sure i don't forget to back something up.

I then burn the image to a dvd for storage. However, i have a few that are too large to be burnt to a dvd. This is where my question comes in.

Instead of selecting a single image, and i break it up into smaller size images,

1 - when i open the image on the customers system so i can now pull their images, documents, etc off, would i have to open each image seperatly, or would the first image pull needed data off of the others?

2 - or do i have to open all the smaller images and then search for everything?

the manual doesn't seem to go into this much.

Thanx in advanced.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

You can choose any file in the image and TI will direct you which file to access next. But why not just use a HD to image to and from? Most systems will allow you to connect one somewhere, and TI supports them all.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

All the pieces of the split image need to be in the same folder (or on a single CD/DVD) to be Explored. Selecting any part of an image to Explore will open the entire image. It is not possible to open only a part of an image. If the image is on two DVDs, you will have to copy the parts back to a hard drive and put them in the same folder before you can Explore the image.

4. rrice

rrice Registered Member

I do image them to another HD. The problem with this is, my HD is filling up because of some of the images tha are too large for a DVD. And i wasn't sure that if splitting them would cause a problem when trying to retreive files to put back on the customers system.

A lot of times, the HD has crashed due to an error in the operating system, thus, i can't boot it. So i image the HD to save the files, then begin work on it. With some of my clients, and just starting to use TI, i was a little worried that using multiple images, i would mess something up, and be unable to recover their files. And that i can't due w/o getting reprimanded by my boss.

JMK:

Thanks. I have to image a system today that is over the standard dvd size, so i will give this a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.