[Split/Renamed] Looking for recommendation

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SEAS, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Re: Good old , New AVG

Hey Forum!

Seems like AVIRA AntiVir PE Premium and AntiVirusKit (AVK) looks good.

Has anyone A/B them with AVG? Looking to order something today (if possible).

Thanks!

SEAS

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nice first post - [SPAM]

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Please don't provide links directly to comparative results. Link only to the main page.

A note from the comparative page;

Please link ONLY to our main site www.av-comparatives.org and not to the other subpages.
    It's forbidden to use/provide our test results/documents on other sites without our permission.
    If you find anything on other sites, please inform the forum/site admin to remove it.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

correct you are,

also, when are people going to learn that 'there is no best antivirus'? :rolleyes:

5. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

SPAM o_O

Sorry if that's what you thought C.S.J. That wasn't my attention at all! :oops:

I have been working on my system for the past few days. Got rid of Spyware Doctor (in safe mode) cause it was maxing out my CPU as well as QT cause it got a virus or something right after I switched to Cable instead of DSL yesterday! :cautious:

I just wanted some help and thought (since you guys seem to be in the know) which ones work best or not. I don't know anything about these programs except I'm in the market now and want some good advice! :doubt:

SEAS

6. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

P.S.

Just got rid of the links in my original post (sorry once again) :(

SEAS :cool:

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, if it wasnt a geniune attempt at spam, then i apologise (which doesn't happen often) :)

there is no best antivirus out there, some have better detection, some have better heuristics, some have better removals, better features, etc etc.

the only way to judge an antivirus, is give them all a trial.

whereas one av can work fantastically on ones machine, it might run poor on another, conflicts can happen also, so you really need to try them yourself.

there will always be recommendations of course, but once again ... try these and dont jump in to buy all too quickly, think before you act and also think about upgrades to next versions, renewal prices that some people also overlook etc.

choose one that runs fast on your machine, and then work around that, for what you want, or prefer in the trials.

good luck & welcome aboard.

8. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks for the reply C.S.J! :)

I agree (giving them a try and not jumping into anything right away).

Currently I'm using Opera since IE version 6 seems to have the problems.
    I have killed over 1,300 virus etc., in the last few days using Spyware Doctor version 3.5 (or something) and Spybot but want to upgrade to something that's better (if there is such a thing).

Anything you would recommend (If I may ask)?

Thanks!
    SEAS

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

doesnt take a genius to show what i would recommend :)

i would definatly get an antivirus that scans for all, and i dont believe there is a need for an added spyware/adware program. (of course you could use one still has on-demand if you really feel the need to)

the ones i would recommend for trying asap are:

DrWeb
    Norton 2007
    F-secure 2007
    NOD32
    Avast (and its FREEEEEEE)

others that ive personally tried and have had no problems with are:

Panda 2007
    F-Prot
    AVG Anti-Malware

ones that iv had little problems with are

Kaspersky
    Avira
    Mcafee

---------------------

i would avoid Gdata (especially 2006, i havnt tried 2007 though)
    also i would avoid CA because its just plain rubbish.

i know alot of people go on about, serious problems with X and i would never use Y again because of ?

but i think most of the products out there are good enough now, its taken till 2007 for most of them to get it right, or close enough, but seriously, you need to give them a whirl yourself.

what is it your looking for in the product, because they all differ?

10. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks C.S.J!

I want a product to get rid of anything that might be slowing my system down like popups, high jackers, Trojans, Spyware, etc.

Currently I'm forced to use my daw (in my project studio) with the web and I need a fast system and wat to keep it clean. I'm on this thing 24/7 as well.

I'm getting ready to build a new one soon (Core 2 Duo), but just trying to keep my 3 year old P4 2.6 running the best it can.

SEAS

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This thread was split from the "Good old , New AVG" thread as it really wasn't on topic for that thread.

Let's try to focus replies here on specific stated requirements, and base recommendations on that rather than making this a "which is better?" thread. Thanks!

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi SEAS.
    From your first post I would recommend that you trial Avira as you seem to have an interest in it.
    See if YOU like it.
    After all, none of the avs are perfect and really the most important opinion on this subject is yours.;)

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I go right to the forums of what ever software I want to use to see how much trouble people report having first. I also then try to find out which security software, in this case an Antivirus, may have a good RealTime Guard. It seems if someone is already infected that the choice is easier as to which AV may be best at detection and removal, but how many tests are there to see what the true "prevention capabilities" of an AV are? I would think Nod, Avira, and maybe Kaspersky is at the top of that list currently because of their Heuristic capabilities, but AVG users will argue how good their AV is in the real world for both prevention and detection. Norman Virus Control is another example of an AV that may well be very good at RealTime prevention because of it's sandbox capabilities. All I am trying to say here is that if i ever decide to surf the seediest side of the net I can find, I don't want to find out days later with a scan that I'm infected because my AV didn't detect it initially. I realize we can add security software programs with HIPS and Behavior Detection which I love to do, but I think maybe our security should start with an Antivirus program that has good "prevention capabilities" and tests that prove it. The AV Comapritives where the AV's are tested without signature updates is the closest thing to this if I understand it correctly.

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

SEAS - First off Welcome. :)

Now you stated you have killed over 1300 viruses?
    This is on a system you are currently using for work purposes?
    ??

If the previous 2 questions answers are yes, then I would recommend that you do atleast a boot time scan with antivirus, I know avast!'s free version supports this and I do believe AVK does also(Check with support)

If you have the option to re-install windows and start from scratch that is highly recommended.

The only reason I state this is because 1300 is a lot of pieces of malware! And with that amount it is hard for ANY antivirus to clean them all. If you are intent on keeping your system as is I would go to one of the Hijackthis/system cleaning forums to have some of the helpers there assist you in making sure your system is clean.

HTH

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Out of those 3 Avira has the highest detection of known and yet to discover virusses, it's just as light as avg on a modern system but heavier on an old machine, great default settings, first try then u buy *puppy* good luck!

16. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks likuidkewl for your reply and the welcome as well! :)

For a long time my system was pretty clean. Like I'd run Spyware Doctor (PC Tools) like once every week or so and have only a few found.

But last week all of a sudden I kept getting tons of popups, hijacks, etc. I'm not sure why or what (perhaps) I did. One thing I would often do is is disable Spyware Doctor because it would use SOOOO much cpu and slow my system WAY down. Perhaps something came through and brought all it's friends.

As far as reinstallling windows, I have like 100 gigs on my C drive (since I have a daw - digital audio workstation) and use A LOT of heavy duty programs. I also have like 4 other HD most of them pretty full and each one is like 100 gigs or so. So to reinstall it would be a very long process and one that I would rather avoid.

And since I need to upgrade and build a new daw using the Core 2 Dual processor than as long as this sytem works ok without many problems then I'm cool with that. :thumb:

I also just donwloaded and tried out NOD32 and now I'm trying out Dr Web Anti-Virus. However I'll will take your advice as well and do a boot time scan with avast!'s free version and check with AVK as well! :)

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nice to see your already trying some out :)

just make sure you only have 1 av installed at any given time.

18. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Trial them for more than a few hours. Take your time, use the 30 days that most companies give you. If nothing else it provides free protection. Trial enough and you could have 5 or 6 months of free protection, as well as a much better gauge of which provides the best protection for you on your computers.

19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi SEAS,

I would also suggest you to TRY some of top av's first (according to av-comparatives) and see how they perform on your machine before your purchase.
    Personally, I would recommend the top performers AVK 2007 (double scan engine) or AntiVir Premium (my second favourite, this one uses less system resources). I'm running AVK2007 since this year on my pc, it just works like a feather on my dual core 1.5gb ram. The best av protection you can get for your money, perfect for your newcoming system but not sure about your current hardware configuration.

Should you feel it's still heavy for your computers, try the lighter AntiVir Premium.

20. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks Macstorm (and everyone else who has come to my aid) :)

So far using NOD32 then Dr Web Anti - Virus I have ZERO pop-ups, hijackers, etc. :D

I DO want to download and try AVK2007 next (see what it can find).

Best,

21. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Question!

When I reboot I get this popup banner that says "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdun.exe. Make sure you type the name in correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, then click search."

So HOW do I get rid of this?

Thanks!

22. Macstorm

Have this message appeared recently? what have you done before this?

23. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

YES! It has appeared recently!

Something new something blue eh? (well... a grey banner with a re X) :cautious:

24. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Hey Macstorm!

Trying to find a link to download or purchase it.

Is this it?

http://www.gdata.de/support/GB/list/82/

Thanks!

25. Macstorm

Hi SEAS

Yes, the link for AntiVirusKit 2007 trial.

About your issue, update your av and scan throughly your system for viruses, additionally use superantispyware free edition to get rid of spyware. Post back results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.