Split off Mele20's topic from the "Old or New?" thread

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Note from LowWaterMark: This thread was split from here since from this post down (other than the two words "I disagree.") it is not about the original topic but about a different person's problems with NOD32 on their system. So it deserves its own thread.

I disagree. I cannot exclude System Restore from AMON and AMON alerts every few minutes on eicar and a bunch of false positives in System Restore. I finally uninstalled this version and went back to an older one where AMON used to never do anything like this and AMON is still alerting. And I still cannot successfully exclude System Restore. Plus, now I am being bugged every few minutes to upgrade. GEEZ. I should be able to run whatever version I wish without a nag screen. Plus I should be able to exclude System Restore.

I wrote to tech support yesterday and today I had the most infuriating response from USA. I expected a response from Eset in Slovakia not from these idiots in the USA office. UGH. I had asked how to SUCCESSFULLY exclude System Restore from AMON. My question was totally ignored and I was treated as though I was about 3 years old and was a total idiot regarding computers. All USA tech support told me was how to clean System Restore! I know how to clean System Restore. How insulting! I asked how to successfully exclude System Restore and that question was ignored.

Whoa! I sure won't renew my license if I have to deal with the USA idiots. I expect tech support to come from Eset in Slovakia. So, I wrote back and asked that my question be forwarded to Eset.

The most important thing in choosing an AV is quality of tech support. I got soured on a rival's tech support recently also when three techs insisted that their new tool which has not passed QA could not possibly fry my video drivers which it did and it did to many others with nVidia drivers . But these guys insisted that couldn't happen as though I was lying. So, I'm not very interested in getting that AV. I don't understand why vendors don't get it...the most important thing is the quality of tech support and not assuming everyone who has a computer is an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  2. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Re: Old or New?

That goes to say no matter what vendor you deal with, it's always have been that way. Could you imagine if they were very technical and you were a new user? That person would feel the same way you do, but in a different circumstance.

I hate system restore, I refuse to use it. It has never worked properly for me. I think it's a joke. So to me that doesn't bother me. I haven't gotten any false positives in a while. Maybe there's something wrong.

3. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Mele,

>I disagree. I cannot exclude System Restore from AMON and AMON alerts every few minutes on eicar and a bunch of false positives in System Restore. I finally uninstalled this version and went back to an older one where AMON used to never do anything like this and AMON is still alerting.

What OS is on that machine? Pls. post here the following from there, if possible:

NOD32 Control Center(NOD32 CC)->NOD32 System Tools->Information

>Plus, now I am being bugged every few minutes to upgrade. GEEZ. I should be able to run whatever version I wish without a nag screen.

You can change it in NOD32 CC->Update->Update->Setup->Type of update:Change->Program component upgrade.

>I wrote to tech support yesterday and today I had the most infuriating response from USA.

Could you pls. post it here, so that we see if it is infuriating?

>I expected a response from Eset in Slovakia not from these idiots in the USA office.

The people from US support are reading this forum too. I'm not saying that to you, but how would you feel, if anybody would write to you on Wilders Forum: "You are an idiot."? Are you sure that you know those people so deep that you could write this? Did you think enough what would you write before you sent this post? Do you think your opinion is objective?

I know the people in the US support and I know they are not idiots at all - they are experienced in computers and are doing their best to help the people. They might be even more computer experienced than you. You are encouraging them to do it even better with your post in a "positive" way.

Thank you for your wisdom, decency and patience.

Best wishes,

jan

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Very nice post Jan, just to add to what you have said, I think with the amount of problems Mele is having that Mele should format Windows, reinstall, install imaging software, then install Nod32, then image... as stated here. I believe this would finally sort out what the problem is with that PC.

This is not a hard thing to do, and it would resolve the situation... Having a 2 minute shutdown is not good, there has to be a conflict with a piece of software somewhere there...

Just my 2 cents worth ;)

Cheers :D

5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

So well said Blackspear. :)
    This is deja vu....this advice has been repeated many times. :)
    here

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

OK. Do I get a reponse from Eset tech support via my email or not? I'm still waiting.

7. Blackspear

Jan replied in a post above...

8. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Maybe it your system restore causing the problem. What I would do is:
    1. Disable system restore.
    2. Do a complete shutdown. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Turn it on -> and do a In Depth scan.
    4. If it finds something clean it and do restart.
    5. Once it's clean -> Turn on system restore.

One thing I have come across working with the IT world is something that may make sense to you doesn't always mean that it makes sense to everybody else. It could be on how you word things. Maybe you didn't explain things right. These are just examples.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is not support. That is public chastisement. That is always a mistake. Does Eset put its foot in its mouth all the time? It would appear so.

So, now where is the support? I asked for support in an email. I have not received it. Does Eset provide proper support or not? I'm still waiting.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't know how to say more clearly. I don't want to clean anything. This is a harmless eicar file that AMON keeps alerting on in System Restore and also sometimes on false positives. I don't see why I can't keep eicar on my box without zipping and password protecting it. I want to either exclude the eicar file in System Restore, or better yet, exclude System Restore itself from AMON scanning. It is better to just exclude System Restore because AMON also alerts on false positives in System Restore. That is supposed to be possible to do. All I have asked for is how to properly exclude System Restore in AMON for XP Pro SP1a. I have done what the help file says to do and it doesn't work. I have also tried to exclude the file itself but that may not have worked because the file name in System Restore is long. Maybe there is simple way to exclude this file in System Restore that I don't know how to do. That is what I am asking. I am not asking how to clean System Restore, or clean my box, etc.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: Split off Mele's topic from "Old or New?" thread

I split this sub-thread off of this other topic since from the first post above from Mele20, through to the last post from that thread, it is about Mele's issues with NOD32 and none are replies to the original topic starter. So, clearly this belongs in its own thread.

12. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Mele, My dear, what Blackspear said is not chatisment, he gave you advice, that i and many others here think you should follow. You have been in here numerous times for several months now, blaming NOD for everything, claiming that you were tired of NOD and going to Kaspersky because it is so much better than NOD and now you are back, I suppose you continued having problems with your system. Your system appears to be the problem, not NOD, not KAV but somewhere something is not formatted right or you have some crucial system files that are corrupted, a strange software conflict or some other major problem. Save yourself some heartache, reformat your OS, re install NOD or KAV or NAV or whatever you decide to use, and then see if your problems persist. Try testing your system, and re installing one piece of software at a time and then give it a few days, to isolate what is causing the problems. As for NOD detecting the eicar file, that is what it is supposed to do. Yes the file is harmless, but all AV makers have agreed to detect it in order to allow users to become familiar with how their chosen AV program alerts and does it's job so when they have a real virus they are familiar with how it operates. Why keep it on your system to begin with? Once it is detected it has done it's job. Your AV is working and you know how it alerts.

13. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Hi, Mele20.

I'm just wondering what your reasons are for not wanting to do a full reinstall of Windows, beginning with a reformat.

Since you seem to have been experiencing some problems, maybe taking on the project of a reinstall would be useful? But maybe there are equally good reasons why you wouldn't want to do that, too. Knowing these reasons might help us understand the situation better, which would probably help with the responses here.

One thing is for sure, it's very unsatisfying to find that one's software - any software - isn't working maximally. So I hope we can help with that. :)

pollux

14. spm

spm Registered Member

Listen guys - do you all really believe by posting the way you do here shows you in anything but a bad light?

Sure, it may be that Mele20 presents things in a slightly aggressive manner (but IMO that is not really the case, and is anyway irrelevant), but you are all using it as an excuse to avoid the real technical issue with NOD32 that he reported.

Jan's response is IMO particularly inappropriate, in that he *does* seek to chastise a customer (and uses unnecessary sarcasm in the process), and entirely fails to ignore the technical issue Mele wants support with. It is hardly surprising that Mele20 is frustrated or angry with Eset. If Eset have now decided to provide support only to the customers they personally like then they are on a very slippery slope indeed.

And to those whose only response is to suggest a reinstallation of Windows ... get real for goodness' sake! I can think of countless reasons why this would not be convenient (or even in any way useful).

If I could, I would suggest a way for Mele20 to have NOD32 behave acceptably about the System Restore folder, but only Eset can do that - that they have failed to do that, either here in public or by e-mail is of concern.

15. pollux

pollux Registered Member

spm, your comments have inspired me to try to clarify my earlier post.

From this and other forums, I am aware that Mele20 has had reason to install and uninstall a variety of different AV programs. Unfortunately, she's also had to use several utilities for modifying/deleting ADS tags.

My experience is that, in part because different AV's use different drivers, sometimes installing and uninstalling them can lead to other problems. I don't know much about working with ADS, but since they are of a lower level than the OS, I wonder if that couldn't have consequences as well.

Since a reformat and reinstall has been suggested in the past, I was just wondering why it would not be a possible approach at this time. I don't know whether it would be the best method to address the matter, and that's why I tried to open up a discussion.

Now, these comments of mine have nothing whatsoever to do with the customer service response of Eset. Because I'm only an Eset customer, I don't have any input on that part, other than to say that I believe that, as a customer, Mele20 has a right to satisfactory service and it seems that she has not received this as yet, at least insofar as she continues to have unresolved difficulties with NOD32.

I've instead tried to focus my response in a "user support forum" way, that is, on the part where I thought I might have a way to help, which is in relation to the discussion of a reformat as an option for the reasons I just mentioned. I thought it might be useful if we took up the possible pro's and con's of that option, not as a universal solution in all cases, but for Mele20's particular situation, which I do hope can be resolved as rapidly and painlessly as possible.

pollux

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'd like to thank SPM for the only sensible response I have received.

The real irony here, and the sad thing also, is that in two years of having NOD32 Eset has changed little in their attitude toward support of their customers. This forum came into being at the time it did because Eset ignored my submission of three samples when I was trialing NOD32. Jan was involved in that fiasco. What happened is recorded at DSLReports Security forum if you want to know the details. I would never have gotten NOD32 after how I was treated then if Rod Fewster had not happened along and seen the thread at DSLR and been appalled and took swift action at the very top of Eset to get things straightened out. I suspect that has been a thorn in Jan's behind, and some of the other Eset personnel too, and perhaps explains Jan's public chastisement here which shows poor judgement and appears to have stemmed from long held resentment.

I have a great capacity for perserverance otherwise I certainly would not still be here. I have been spit on, ridiculed, ganged up on and given repeated bad karma (back when that was possible here) by others here. This is mild compared to what happened when I found a very nasty bug in NOD32 version 2 beta. I suppose Eset is still upset about that also. I know the True Believers in the forum have never forgiven me.

I have asked a simple question. If this was any other forum for any other AV, I would be astounded that no one has shown the slightest interest in what may be ANOTHER bug in NOD32. Instead with the exception of SPM, you have all chosen to ridicule me and blame me for what is either a short coming (BUG) in NOD32 or a Help file that is incorrect or perhaps I just need help in making the file name short enough, (but no one has offered any help in this regard). No one has stated that they have no problem in XP Pro SP1 with excluding System Restore or a file in System Restore from AMON scanning. If no one has tried this then why are you so quick to blame me for what appears to be a NOD32 problem? If you are all successful in this type of exclusion then how come you haven't explained to me what I am doing wrong?

To those of you who follow me around the internet so that you can state any time I post about any problem that I need to reformat, please stay out of this thread and please stop following me around. It is subtle harrassment. It is very telling that this demand that I reformat comes from NOD32 True Believers and, of course, is a way to ignore the real problem as we have seen in this thread.

17. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Hi, Mele20.

I'm sorry if you feel I've followed you around - we do happen to post on some of the same forums.

I also didn't mean to indicate that I knew what you should do. On the contrary, I was hoping it would be possible to discuss the reformat issue more, precisely because I wasn't sure whether it was the best option.

I hope that you find a solution, whether from Eset or in another way, so that your AV situation can be resolved to your satisfaction, whether that involves continuing as an Eset customer or not.

Although we don't always agree, I have a lot of respect for your perseverance and willingness to learn more as a computer user, and I wish you the best.

pollux

18. Blackspear

This is not a bug, simply turn off system restore, reboot, turn on system restore, problem fixed.

I have offered you a very very simple solution that will solve your multiple problems that you have said you are having, and yet you continually avoid this very simple solution, even avoiding answering as to why you do not want to.

Dell computers have a system restore disk, so this is very simple task to accomplish, you have a second PC to back up your data and presumably a CDRW or DVDRW, so either way your data can be backed up. It is a very simple solution, including imaging, this would find the problem you are having and would also allow you to experiment with other software to your liking with the continual ability to return to a previous image…

19. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Maybe it is a bug, but why would you want to keep this eicar test file in your system restore? You are not using for anything and you know the anti-virus will pick it up. So why keep it? That what I don't understand. Though I have to agree with you, that AMON should ignore it, if you have it set to.

Maybe it has something to do with the way system restore handles it's files. Even though it may seem the same path for you but maybe it's not.

20. Blackspear

I believe this is part of Mele’s aggravation, that she would like to know how to have AMON ignore “System Restore” or ignore a particular file within “System Restore”, and Eset have not provided an answer on how to do so…

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Blackspear, Dell computers do NOT have a system restore disk. I am not going to reformat so drop it please.

The Help file says that I can exclude any file or directory from AMON scanning so why can't I exclude System Restore or a file in there? Is the help file wrong?

I have asked repeatedly for an answer to my question. I have requested repeatedly for tech support. I have sent emails to Eset but been ignored.

Eset has refused me tech support. Instead I have been publically chastised by Eset and on top of that still refused tech support. If Eset has anything to say in their defense they should do so now.

22. Blackspear

Dells do that are sold here, or they have a hidden partion, or they come with a Windows disk.

All I can say is "All the best".

As to Eset not responding, they have above and in a email, and also asked for you to post the email that you have from them, you have ignored their request...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  23. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I have two Dells, a laptop and a desktop purchased a year apart, both came with a "Dell Reinstallation CD", the Laptop also has a hidden 750MB partition with an image of this disk in case it is needed on the road and the disk is not available. I also have Nvidia cards in both as well as NOD(with IMON active on each) running on both and I have no problems. Regards, best of luck.

To Blackspear; You tried my friend, that is all you can do.

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

I'm not an OS expert, so take all this with a grain of salt, but try the following:

Go to here and follow the directions under Windows XP Professional using the NTFS File System on a Workgroup or Standalone Computer.

If you look at how NOD32 operates, there are two processes, one under the System account, one under your login account. I'm not sure how exclusion information is passed to AMON or whether there is any validation perform, but if you do any operations from within the Control Centre (i.e. within the purview of your account), you'll find that any attempt to actively access the SVI folder will yield a file/path invalid message, since you basically don't have permission to see it. Your symptoms sound like a permissions disconnect (for lack of a better word) and you have to provide yourself with ownership to that folder. An easy way to see whats happening is to do a right click NOD32 scan of the SVI from within the context menu - you'll get an invalid path/filename error until you go through these steps.

There are risks going down this route since it opens up the SVI folder, but if it really bothers you, it's an easily reversible series of steps to take. I don't believe there are any long/short filename issues, but if there are, you could try excluding both

C:\System Volume Information
    C:\System~1

Again - I'm working well outside my core knowledge here.

Blue

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Blackspear, you spoke specifically of a "Restore" disk. There is a HUGE difference between a "restore" disk which is what all vendors except Dell provide and a "reinstallation" disk which Dell provides. If you are suggesting that I reinstall XP on top of itself that is a very poor suggestion and one I would never do. If you are asking me to reformat because of a NOD32 bug or a wrong help file that is also absurd. You were one of those who gave me a hard time when I found the nasty bug in the NOD32 version 2 beta. So, I am not surprised at your present attitude. Even if this turns out to be something like what Blue is suggesting, again demanding that I must reformat just shows your prejudice.

You have made it quite clear that you take Eset's side in this matter fully and you also are trying to continue the chastisement. If Eset and you wish to publicly chastise me when you haven't even seen the correspondence then what can I say? As for Jan's irrational demand that I publish an email which he should already possess that can only be for the purpose of further ridicule and trying to get rid of this customer who is not afraid to stand up and call the kettle black when it is black. Eset wants me gone because I speak up when something is wrong and I don't let go of it. I have watched Eset treat a number of users like they are treating me now. In each case, Eset sooner or later gets it way and the outspoken user who is just trying to get help or get a shortcoming in NOD32 fixed finally leaves.

I asked by email for tech support. I did not receive it. I was given a flip answer that had nothing to do with the specific question I asked. The reply was not even signed. I have no way of knowing who made that irrelevant reply. I wrote back and requested an answer from Eset not the USA office. I have never received one. I have never received a reply to my second email. Perhaps the USA office lied and did not forward it to Eset. That is my conclusion since Eset has never replied and Jan wants to see the email on this board. So obviously, the USA office didn't forward my request. If that is the case, then Jan should ask the USA office to forward it again.

If every user who got frustrated and upset at a vendor, and mentioned this on a public board, was refused tech support for this reason there would not be many persons receiving tech support. Maybe that is Eset's ultimate goal. It would keep them from needing to hire enough personnel to provide support on the weekends and holidays like other vendors do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.