split HD into 3 and copy OS to all partitons

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Allan R, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan R

Allan R Guest

Please point me to the right thread or give me the step-by-step to achieve what I want. I have a new PC with 60G HDD. I want to split it into 3 partitions and copy the exact image of the current partiton to all 3. From there I can make subtle changes to each partiton. I have tried using 9 but don't see the obvious route to succeed. When booting I wnat 20 seconds to choose which partiton I wnt to boot from. THis hsould be easy but the help is difficult to understand and I have never attempted anything like this before and no other help is at hand.

2. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

I just did this very thing - but each instance of the OS has to be installed - restoring an image of the 1st partition does not work (didn't for me, and had edited boot.ini as well).

1st create an empty 15.66 MB hidden partition at the end of the drive. If you install OSS to the C drive it will become deactivated when you defrag.

Install (custom) OS Selector to it.

Follow the instructions on pages 97/98 of the manual to install the other 2 OSs. Each instance will need another name for networking i.e. computer1, computer2, computer3.

Install the programs you want and activate each (XP).

3. jovi

jovi Registered Member

i think it is very easy to that.when u used disk director suite,the oss inside refer to boot.ini file to determind weather there is more than 1 installed os in the hardisk.to solve that problem 1st u need to uninstall disk director suite and browse to the 2nd and 3rd partition where the 2nd and 3rd windows are.then search for boot.ini file or u can edit manually the file through properties of my computer,in advanced tab choose setting startup&recovery.For 2nd windows in 2nd partition and 3rd windows in 3rd partition changes are as below:

from
    [boot loader]
    ;timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

to
    [boot loader]
    ;timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

if u noticed only the partiton number is changed if it the the 3rd partition then change to 3.

then install acronis disk director suite and it will recognice all 3 windows.u can hide the partiton,choose the booting time all in the software setting.

try it,i'm sure it would help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.