SpinRite 6.0

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Antarctica, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I am thinking to acquire SpinRite 6.0 from Steve Gibson. Could someone
    tell me if this Software is really as good as advertise?
    Thanks

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I used Spinrite long, long time ago. I would recommend this old version as well :)

Don hesitate, Spinrite is probably the best tool in the business.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thank you guys for your answer.
    I still hesitate, not because the quality of the product but at $ 89.00 U.S. it's a expensive piece of software. :doubt:

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Spinrite is for data recovery rather than privacy so maybe this thread should be in another forum?

It does seem expensive but the cost is tiny compared to what you would have to pay a data-recovery firm to try to recover information from a faulty disk. However prevention is far better than cure here - keep regular backups (check the forum for recommendations on disk imaging and backup software).

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have Spinrite 6.0 and its great. After running it on my old hard drives I notice much better performance and no problems. On my 533 Mhz PC it takes about 5-12 hours per 30 gig hard drive, depending on the mode you choose and speed of PC. I use Spinrite with a good defrag/free space wipe program.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Agreed, so I have moved it here.

Cheers :D

7. srlevine1

srlevine1 Guest

The software is great. The only disadvantage is the time it takes to do large drives. And if it finds errors, it is wiser to save the data, toss the disk and re-load the applications. Gibson is a true guru...programs in assembly language for maximum control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.