SpIDer Mail Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Douglas, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas

Douglas Guest

DrWeb's SpIDer Mail uninstalls from startup after some reboots, so that I get a screen at startup "SpIDer Mail is not installed, would you like to install it now?"
    This always happens after I use a program EndItAll, which kills/closes all programs in memory (for defrag, virus scans, etc). But it also happens at times when I don't see a connection to anything I've done.
    Does anyone have any theories?
    Thank you,
    Douglas

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Douglas,

I would not recommend using EndItAll (or CTRL-Alt-Del for that matter) on a regular basis for shutting down processes.
    Only as a last resort.
    If you want to perform special tasks with a minimum of interference try using the safe mode.
    Seeing this happen sometimes after a normal reboot would lead me to think that it is not always closed properly, but I´m not familiar with SpiderMail so other opinions would be appreciated (as always)

Regards,

Pieter

3. root

root Registered Member

I agree with Pieter.
    You might clean up your registry with jv16 power tools and try uninstalling Spiderml, and re installing. It's a lot easier now with the new finalized version.
    Also, is it out of the question to get RegRun? Than can be a great help in watching startup items and protecting them. I know it's not cheap, but it is money well spent.

4. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hello Pieter and root,
    I appreciate the recommendations from both of you, and I will do what you suggest.
    I have to confess, I've never even used safe mode. :cool:
    It's time to reform.
    I'll get RegRun now. I've been thinking about it, so this is a push.

thanks much,
    Douglas

5. Douglas

Douglas Guest

I know it's only a day and a half since I posted, but the problem with SpiderMail would occur at least once a day (I reboot several times a day).
    I followed the above advice (except for regrun, that's still coming), and I've had no problems. :)
    And I really appreciate safe mode after doing a defrag yesterday. It's great!
    Thanks all!
    Douglas

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Good to hear Douglas.
    I hope (and think) you´re problems are solved now.

A short explanation on safe mode : http://www.sacpcug.org/eblue/0207/faboot.html
    If possible I install any new software in safe mode as well (for some programs this will not work that easily because they need Windows Installer, which does not get started either)
    Opinions on using this method however differ.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.