SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer 3.0.8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PaulBB, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

The TCP Optimizer is a free, easy Windows program that provides an intuitive interface for tuning and optimizing your Internet connection. There is no installation required, just download and run. The program can aid both the novice and the advanced user in tweaking related TCP/IP parameters in the Windows Registry, making it easy to tune your system to the type of Internet connection used. The tool uses advanced algorithms, and the bandwidth*delay product to find the best TCP Window for your specific connection speed. It provides for easy tuning of all related TCP/IP parameters, such as MTU, RWIN, and even advanced ones like QoS and ToS/Diffserv prioritization. The program works with all current versions of Windows, and includes additional tools, such as testing average latency over multiple hosts, and finding the largest possible packet size (MTU). The TCP Optimizer is targeted towards broadband internet connections, however it can be helpful with tuning any internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+

If you need help with the program, check the TCP Optimizer documentation, read our broadband tweaking articles, the Optimizer FAQ, and/or visit our Forums.
    The program can be freely (re)distributed, as long as you give us proper credit as the author, and it is not sold for profit.

3.0.8 version changes:
    - Added NetworkThrottlingIndex gaming tweak to the Advanced tab
    - Changed "MaxUserPort" optimal value from 65535 to 65534.
    - minor internal improvements

HomePage & Download
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Is that thing still around? Is it even needed anymore? I last used it on XP a long time ago, and it really didn't do squat for me. I remember using that and the tcpip patch for utorrent :D

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I'm always a little dubious when it comes to these types of programs.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Minor changes, a bit faster for me. Thanks for update.

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

The only tweak that gave a perceptible difference for me on Vista was to enable CTCP.
    To enable CTCP, in elevated command prompt type:

netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp

To disable CTCP:

netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=none

-and possibly TCP Chimney Offload

To set TCP Chimney Offload:

netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled

Default state: disabled (under Vista), automatic (under Windows 7 and 2008 Server)
    Recommended: enabled

The possible states are disabled, enabled, default (Vista), automatic (only Windows 7 and 2008 Server) as follows:

automatic - This default setting is only available under Windows 7 and 2008 Server, it is not available udner Vista. It offloads if the connection is 10 GbE, has a RTT < 20ms, and the connection has exchanged at least 130KB of data. The device driver must also have TCP Chimney enabled.
    default - this setting restores chimney offload to the system default. Setting this "default" state under Windows 7 and 2008 Server is possible, but it sets the system to the "automatic" mode described above.
    disabled - this setting is maually configured as disabled.
    enabled - this setting is manually configured as enabled.

As taken from http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What I've always wondered is... do I use the 10MB/s that my ISP tells me I get or the 16MB/s that speedest.net tells me I get?

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And pray tell, how do you manage to find yourself with an extra 6 megs in speed? :D

8. Hungry Man

No idea. I just know that's what speedtest.net gives me even though I'm paying for 10.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You're lucky, most people get the opposite.

10. Hungry Man

Yes, I am. Still have no idea what to put down.

11. guest

guest Guest

@PaulBB

Thanks for the update. Really love this freebie.

12. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I don't know how it works today, but the method speedtest used was a little dumb of only showing the "highest" value & not the average one.

If you use an AV like Avira for example, your AV will first capture, buffer & scan the traffic, and then delivers it to your browser in one big (fast) chunk, making speedtest believe you have a giganticly fast connection. It should calculate on average to work correctly in that case. (Or you should deactive your AV's web modules before accessing these test sites)

13. Hungry Man

I use no antiviruses. I've always consistently gotten higher speeds from speedtest.net.

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Do you mean Mb/s (bits) or MB/s (bytes)? 10 MB/s is really high, equal to 80 Mb/s. My speed is a low 4 Mb/s, or 0.5 MB/s.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  15. Hungry Man

Ah I feel really silly haha I'm used to the capital B's I guess. Yes, 10mb/s

16. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

80 Mb/s, right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.