Speed reduced by half when using VPN and Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pernu, May 12, 2021.

1. pernu

pernu Registered Member

I used Kaspersky Internet Security with win 8.1 and win 10 and my speed tests reduce my speed from 750mb down to 230-375 depending on where I tested.

I tried with F-Secure safe installed, and the reduction was then from 750mb to 500-620mb. I used PIA VPN. Have others experienced this before? :thumbd:

2. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

I never had good luck with Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 in terms of internet speeds + VPNs unless I added the VPN application to the exclusions, did you try excluding it?

3. pernu

pernu Registered Member

No, I did not, but I will try again if it is possible to do so with Kaspersky. :thumb:

4. pernu

pernu Registered Member

I did put the folder PIA to exclusjon, but the result was the same, it did not change anything.
    Strange that the speed is so much better with f-secure safe? :thumbd:

5. SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax Registered Member

This is a known problem for Kaspersky as I have seen this complaint made by several users. From what I have heard, it doesn't happen on the free version, so the firewall is definitely the culprit here. If I remember correctly a member on Malwaretips said, he was able to improve it a bit by reducing the level of web protection from optimal (default) to low. I could be wrong too because he probably suggested this also for reducing CPU usage of Kaspersky while downloading games from Steam. But anyway, give it a try.

6. pernu

pernu Registered Member

I turned off the firewall and it did not change anything.

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Try to exclude your VPN, as suggested by @Spartan . I have used three different VPNs with Kaspersky without any problems.

8. pernu

pernu Registered Member

I did put the folder PIA VPN to exclusjon, but the result was the same, it did not change anything.
    Strange that the speed is so much better with f-secure safe? :thumbd:

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

ditch pia's own app and use ovpn stock sw or airvpn's open source app which can be used with other vpn services. pia's proprietary app is an extremely problematic app, a terrible piece of sw. i can say i'm 100% sure that it's (ruby) the culprit.

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I completely agree! PIA's software sucks. PIA sucks. Find a vpn that doesn't have "eyes" jurisdiction. PIA is in the USA. That's bad. Check out NordVPN, Mullvad or ExpressVPN. If you are determined to keep PIA, check out Viscosity. It'll allow you to use generated ovpn files, and have scripting ability. It's MUCH better than PIA's own software.

11. pernu

pernu Registered Member

I have some new tests results. After installing Bitdefender free i did many tests with and without my PIA VPN. As I stated before, Kaspersky gave me 230-375mb with the VPN, but Bitdefender gives me between 520 and 560mb in download speed. This is very good, and it is the best I have got so far.;):thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.