Speed question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Anderson2, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anderson2

Anderson2 Registered Member

Paragon Backup 10.2 is available in both 32 bit and 62 bit versions. Since I have W7 64 bit in a dual processor PC, would the 64 bit version backup any faster than if I installed the 32 bit version?

Thank you.

Jeff

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can't install the 32 bit version on a 64 bit o/s.

3. Anderson2

Thanks.

Does having a 64 bit version available make it any more faster? The reason I am asking is because I did a test after installing 3 trial backup products on my W 7 laptop and backed the same identical partition to an external usb hard drive with the 3 products. The backup files created were all essentially the same size. I used default settings on all. But the speed was quite different:

Macrium took 43 minutes to create the file.
    Acronis took 50 minutes to create the file.
    Paragon took 27 minutes to create the file.

I was therefore wondering if the greater speed was because the Paragon I used was 64 bit while the other two were 34 bit products. Everything else seemed the same.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You won't notice a huge difference between the speed of 32 and 64 bit app.

You can test for yourself. You have 2 versions of IE 8 - the regular and the 64bit. See if you notice one being much faster than the other. Add ons will slow IE8 down a bit, of course.

It just shows that for you, Paragon is the quickest.

Paragon also is very reliable and does a lot of disk checking too.

5. Anderson2

Thank you.

Happy fourth.

6. Anderson2

"It just shows that for you, Paragon is the quickest". Reading between the lines: are you saying that is _not_ usually the case? I notice many people commenting about the great speed of Acronis even though my testing did not show it be the case.

Would you say that Paragon is "as reliable" as the well known Acronis?

The free Paragon 10.2 seems to do everything most paid backup software does. If one wanted to support Paragon, which would be paid upgraded version? The list of products on the P website is confusing to me.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I'm not saying anything between the lines.

You will find people become very attached to software they have used for a long while and enjoy singing it's praises.

You may have neighbours who are like that about their particular choice of car.

Paragon make great software - very reliable backups and they are the leaders in disk management and partitioning.

As to which app. you should get - it depends what functions you want.

There is a large range , with some overlap between the functions of each one.

I think the best value are the Paragon HDM ( Hard Disk Manager ) products. They effectively combine DB (Drive Backup ) and PM ( Partition Manager).

You might look at HDM Suite - which is like DB personal + PM personal.

If you want more functionality, you can't beat HDM Pro - which is like DB Pro + PM Pro.

With Paragon , you don't have to buy extra add on packages, you will get the winpe cd included, for example.

8. Anderson2

Thank you. Again you are very helpful.

I actually have used both Paragon's partitioning and Paragon backup since I moved to W 7 a few months ago and am impressed with both. But, prior to W 7 I had never heard of Paragon and used Acronis and Partition Magic for years. That is why I was a little dubious about Paragon - primarily because of unfamiliarity. So, what you say about Paragon reliability is reassuring. (Hope you are not a Paragon salesman). After all what use is a backup utility if it is not reliable. Thank you again.

Jeff

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I agree. I have used Paragon for years with close to 100% reliability.

That does not mean it is very fast. The fastest imaging program I have used is ShadowProtect. In my experience, it can be twice as fast as Paragon, or more.

10. Anderson2

Thank you Robin. That is good to know.

What do you mean by "close to" 100% reliability? Where did it fail you?

Are you using the free Backup & Restore 10.2?

As for speed, I am not necessarily searching for the fastest one. I just was surprised that in my test of backing up the identical partition to the same USB drive Paragon was twice as fast as the others. It made me both worry and wonder why that was the case. Worry as to what shortcuts it was taking that might burn me later; wonder what it was doing differently.

11. Robin A.

My experience may not be typical. I have not used any “free” Paragon product. I use B&R 10 Pro.

I had one or two failings with Paragon several years ago, when I was doing backups from within Windows XP. Now I backup only from WinPE boot USB sticks. I have created, verified and restored many images in this way without failings. I do not even have any Paragon program installed.

Currently I backup the Windows 7 x64 system partition (100 GB, 20 GB used) to a USB external disk in 10-15 minutes, depending on the options and compression used. The average image size is 7.2 GB.

12. Anderson2

Any chance I could download your WinPE iso? <g>

Isn't it a pain to have to reboot before each backup?

13. Robin A.

I use the WinPE supplied by Paragon with "pro" versions. There are instructions elsewhere in this forum for building WinPE disks.

I do not backup the system partition frequently. Usually once per month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.