Specialized Photo Recovery App (you can recommend)?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Aaron Here, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

My daughter phoned me (in a panic) saying that all of her family photo's have disappeared from her hard drive. Upon having her check a few things (using Windows Explorer) it seems that WinXP's 'My Pictures' folder is gone! Unfortunately, it's not in the recycle bin (and naturally, she hasn't backed up for years)!!!

I told her not to save anything to the hard drive and that I'll try to recover her photos when I can get to her place. While I do have some data recovery apps I really don't want to recover every deleted file on her drive, so if any of you can recommend a specialized app - that just recovers jpg files, that would be great.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

PhotoRec

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Recuva, you CAN'T go wrong with it, it's even better than some or even most commercial products according to what i've read :D

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

Maybe not the prettiest or easiest to use but it has outstanding functionality.

5. Aaron Here

PhotoRec and Recuva are probably decent choices, but I would much prefer an app that has a jpg filter so that I don't wind up with all of her deleted files!

Edit: I now see that Recuva seems to have a 'picture files' filter... :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

7. Aaron Here

Yes, I see that both of the above apps are freeware, but in spite of its name PhotoRec doesn't seem to be oriented to only recovering photo-files. :doubt:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  8. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Aaron,

Adroit is exactly what you are looking for and based on personal experience I highly recommend it. :thumb:

The only downside is that it's not free; it will cost you (or your daughter) $20.

JA

9. Aaron Here

Thanks Jo Ann, Adroit does seem to 'fit the bill'. Based on your recommendation I will pop for the $20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.