spanning under fat32......can't backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

my external drive is fat 32 Usb 2.0.........it spans on backup and imaging.....and won't allow me to restore and image.....says its corrupt.......how comeo_Oo_Oo_O??

2. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Since there is a better way without reformatting I took my post out, so as not to be confusing.

Hope this helps,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Though if using XP then you can 'upgrade' your format system from FAT32 to NTFS.

It is available as a console command from the XP boot CD.

FAT32 only allows 4Gb max size files so this may be the cause of the spanning.

Colin

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is not necessary to re-format a drive to change from FAT32 to NTFS. There is a perfectly good tool in Windows XP to convert to NTFS which leaves data intact.
    At the command prompt type convert followed by the drive letter: /fs:ntfs then press enter.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881 for all the detail.

Xpilot

5. HelpFromFrance

Xpilot,

I knew that this conversion tool would work on internal drives, so it will work on externals also? I will have to remember it in that case.

Thanks for the info,
    HelpFromFrance

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes apart from USB sticks different kettle of bytes altogether :D

Colin

7. HelpFromFrance

Colin,

Thanks that is great will file this away for future use. I pulled down my previous post since the reformat is not necessary and I did not want to mislead anyone.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello max0071,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3666) of the respective Acronis True Image version available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem persists with the latest build (3666) of the respective Acronis True Image version then please do as bodgy, Xpilot and HelpFromFrance suggested, i.e. try reformatting\converting your external USB 2.0 hard drive to NTFS. Create a new backup archive then and see if the problem persists.

If that does not help either then please try the next tips in order to solve the problem you experience:

- If your external USB hard drive is connected to the computer through a HUB then please try connecting it directly;

- Try using another USB port(s);

- Try updating drivers for your external USB 2.0 hard drive, if any;

In nothing of the above helps and Acronis True Image still creates corrupt backups on your external USB 2.0 hard drove then please provide us with the following information:

- What exact version of Acronis True Image do you use?

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Does Acronis True Image create corrupt backups both when it is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the resul;

- Try saving backups to any other location(s), e.g. other internal, external or network drive(s) and verify them both from under Windows and using Bootable Rescue CD. Let us know the result;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves from the internal hard drive to your external USB 2.0 hard drive and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied. What are the results?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.