Spammer Threatens Anti-Spam Group

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Normally I would think that was an empty threat by the spammer, but I can't get to Blue Security either. This is the correct link, isn't it?
    http://www.bluesecurity.com/
    Under attack?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Definitely explains it. Thanks.

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm the Blue Security Spammer

Story

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Under Attack, Spam Fighter Folds

Story

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Brian Krebs

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blue Security Kicked While It's Down
    Brian Krebs

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm wary of methods like that of Blue Security to deal with spam. Lycos' own attempts at dealing with unsolicited email failed too. The best method is your own filtering techniques and not vigilante-style bombardment of websites.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Filtering does not stop spammers from flooding networks, it does not stop them bringing mailservers down with dictionary/brute force attacks and it does not stop them from financing botnets and malware writers. Finally, filtering is never 100% - you will always get spam slipping through or legitimate mail being blocked. The latest tactic of using misdirected bounces (sending spam with a forged but valid sender address so that any bounces go to a third party) makes filtering extremely difficult - if you filter out spam bounces, then you also risk discarding important error messages (e.g. if you misspelt someone's email address).

The only way that spam will be stopped is by making it unprofitable. Educating people to never buy products or services marketed by spam is one key method - but there are enough fools out there who will ignore such advice anyway, so increasing spammers' costs (by using up their website bandwidth or entering false details on their website forms) is the only effective method of dealing with hardcore spammers.

Blue Security did not even seek to do this, but just to post unsubscribe requests (by placing them on web forms if no other method was available). The fact that they came under such attack should be an indication of the lawless state of the Internet and the contempt that spammers have for individuals. Vigilante justice has its problems, but anarchy is far worse.

Spam is war and your email is the battleground. Those who choose to stand aside and do nothing should be prepared at some point to lose it.

13. herbalist

herbalist Guest

If a way could be found to decentralize an app like theirs so that there was no central point to attack, it would be much harder to take down. What about a version that's more like Shareaza, a large number of smaller, constantly changing hubs?
    It seems the spammers only understand one language and this attack proves they got the message. We need to turn up the volume.
    Rick

14. herbalist

herbalist Guest

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hope springs eternal.

16. whistl3r

whistl3r Registered Member

I see no justice in spamming a spammer. This company is just as liable as the spammer is.

I could name names from a ISP I use to work for, some technicians (now supervisor's / managers) submitted customer emails to spam lists, just because the customer aggrivated them. I confronted management about it, but they actively refused these individuals would ever do it, sad so sad. In fact, I was standing right there when they did it and they even admitted to committing these offending acts in/outside the office. Kind of sad how management plays it's games, but when their in trouble they will lie through their teath.

I'll be glad to forewarn you; say the least its within the Minnesota region.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.