SPAMMED from my own email

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I got a spam email into a yahoo account and the same addres of mine is listed as the sender. I have up to date AV and do regular checks for virus and spyware which except for a few tracking cookies are clean. Am I infected?

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I also got a spam email from my own email address (not Yahoo).

Question is haow do i stop it?

Thanks

Terry

3. david banner

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Spoofed email addressing is very common now. I get a lot of those spam messages with my own email address listed. Most likely the spam program harvests a lot of email addresses and randomly inserts them into the millions of message that they generate. Personally, I think the spammers must be getting pretty stupid when they send a message with me as the sender. Am I someone who likes to write emails to myself? Idiots. :p :rolleyes:

5. david banner

Hi
    It does not mean one has a virus then?

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

It seems to be quite common in mass mailings, whether spam or legit, for the sender to address it ("To") to himself with bcc's to everyone else.

Of course, if you didn't send it in the first place then your "From" is obviously a harvested and forged thing, as others have pointed out, and the problem's almost certainly "out there" rather than on your own system. Not a heck of a lot that I know of that you can do about that, other than of course delete any of them you receive.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

For the majority of the spam messages, most are harmless and just trying to lure you into buying their product. But you never know if one does harbor a virus. No, just having an email that has yourself as the sender does not mean that you have a virus. Spammers have been ingenious in devising many ways to generate a large volume of email messages so that their outreach to the world wide web spans global proportions. Their goal: to reach everyone's PC so that they can catch a few fish in the sea that will bite on the bait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.