SPACE.com possible malware.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Daveski17, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I was just checking my Google Reader (in SRWare Iron) & I clicked on my Space.com feed on this story:

'Rare Twilight Shuttle Launch on Monday Visible Along Eastern United States'

& I got a red page come up which informed that there may be potential malware on this page & I should choose whether to proceed or not. I decided to take its advice & didn't proceed to the page.

Pretty scary behaviour in SPACE.com I think...:eek:

Anyway, I just thought I would report this for anyone else who surfs SPACE.com regularly.

Has anyone had a red Google page like this?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Yes, I have encountered such pages on occasion like the on below
    xxtp://www.space.com/common/community/index.php
    but Google then says
    "..
    Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for www.space.com/common/community

What is the current listing status for www.space.com/common/community?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 30 pages that we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time that Google visited this site was on 2010-04-01, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS6315 (XMISSION), AS4136 (QUALITYTECH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, www.space.com/common/community did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
    * If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Centre.
    .."

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, thanks for the reply. If I remember the red page seemed to be trying to tell me that a link on that 'Shuttle launch' page may be a bit dodgy. I didn't stay long though as it was a bit of a shock in something so innocuous as SPACE.com.

Unless it's those pesky Chinese hackers trying to steal NASA info LOL! :D

Just to be on the safe side I did a full SAS scan (the first for 27 days). In the last full SAS scan I was cleaner than the proverbial whistle. Today I found 7 tracking cookies. Normally I find 1 or 2 at most. However, the past couple of days I've been using IE 8 a bit, primarily to view my ISP account pages. Even with SpywareBlaster IE is a tracking cookie magnet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.