SP3 Won't Install On My Computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Graystoke, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm having a problem. I got the update notice that SP 3 was available. When I try to install it through Windows update, it fails to install. I've tried several times with the same results.

I just now tried installing SP 3 using link provide by Howie. I get an error message with that attempt....

"The core system file (kernel) used to start this computer is not a Microsoft Windows file. For more information see Knowledge Base article Q327101 at »support.microsoft.com."

I went there and this is what I found....

"This behavior may occur if the computer has a modified version of the Ntoskrnl.exe file that uses the /KERNEL switch in the Boot.ini file. This condition may exist because the computer has a third-party program installed that customizes the graphics that are displayed when your computer starts."

There is also instructions on how to resolve all this. I'm not sure I want to go through all that. I definitely do not want to screw up this new computer. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I have the very same error message,Q327101, then

I found out I have used TuneUp Utilities to create third party Boot Screen, Welcome Screen, and Theme. These are the source of issues.

I revert these to default setting, then installation of SP3 went very smoothly.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi Perman. Thanks for the tip. I'm also using TuneUp Utilities' third party boot screen. Looks like that was the culprit here too. I reverted back to the default boot screen, and was able to install SP3. I'll have to remember that the next time I have a problem with Windows Update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.