SP3 Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

How do you update SP3 & where is the file? I see trial version at there site. From within SP3 help > check for update does not do anything. My ver. says
    3.0.0.3 & 3.1.x is available

Thanks & Take CAre
    Rico

Nate Posted the following:

Well, first off, I'd install version 3.1 (now available for download - download the "trial" - it's really the full product and will auto-activate without any effort on your part as long as your 3.0 has at some time been activated). Uninstall version 3.0, reboot, then install 3.1. Version 3.1 will not retry missed backups every minute as does version 3.0 so it won't clog up your event log.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Over on the SC forum, Nate said he was holding off announcing 3.1 until after the "web guys" have updated *both* the web site and the store with all of the files (installers and ISOs).

I've noticed that the front page already has the 3.1 demo but the store does not, at least not from what I'm seeing. As far as how you get it, to the best of my knowledge, you would login, go to "My Account", and select your Order Number. The download links should be at the bottom of that page.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Prius,

Thanks!

Take Care
    Rico

4. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I couldn't find the change log on their site.Any of you know what changed in 3.1 ?

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

SP3? What program? XP thats alpha or beta.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Shadow Protect Version 3.

7. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Peter,

do you know anything about the new 3.1 (what's new and so on)?

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe it's mainly fixes for the nit issues that came up in 3.0. I don't believe there are any new features.

9. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The following issues in ShadowProtect 3.0 have all been fixed in 3.1:

1. A rare (reported by two users) MBR restore failure issue.

2. MBR/hidden track/disk-signature restore failure when restoring from
    A split/spanned media set.

3. Crash-proof-incremental on continuous incremental jobs was not set. This means that new bases were generated rather than diffgen-created incrementals in cases where the VDIFF map is lost.

4. When network access failed, a new base or a differential backup may have been attempted when an error should have been reported and the job aborted.

5. The progress control in ShadowProtectPE.exe stopped updating after a while when restoring a chain with incrementals.

6. Provide option for Iomega Rev drives (which report themselves as being removable optical media device) and DVD-RAM such that the user can instruct ShadowProtect to write to these devices as if they are fixed drives, rather than using the media burning option.

7. Add ability to sbimageapi.dll and image.exe such that users can easily (on the command line) resolve image file chain dependencies such that a command-line mount/restore/verify of any specified point-in-time can be easily performed.

8. A bug in the disk enumeration code that occasionally caused the ShadowProtectPE.exe process to crash.

9. Execute missed schedule caused an attempt every second to execute a missed backup if the destination was not available.

10. VSS incremental flag for continuous jobs was not persisted in the registry. After stopping the service, all continuous incrementals were VSM direct.

11. DiffGen image list creation could generate a set Guid mismatch error if unnecessary files were in the list or files were not sorted correctly.

12. Write caching advanced option was not being honored. Modified the default write caching to be off for all destinations (local or network), which we have found minimizes I/O errors, but will always honor the user’s setting if they override this advanced option.

13. If a path contained spaces, a DiffGen backup would fail because the path was not recognized.

14. ShadowProtect 2.x jobs were not updated to contain additional info such as current set guid and last incremental file guid.

15. Scheduled jobs with no incrementals selected sometimes were not rescheduled after they were run. This is the "Next Run Time:Never" bug.

16. Scheduled jobs will now fail if an error occurs on exclusion of free space, pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys. These errors only occur if the file system is corrupt and the user needs some kind of warning so that they can repair the file system rather than just let the automatic backup continue to occur and backup a corrupt file system. A manual backup (backup now) will always work, even if the file system cannot return the run list of the pagefile or hiberfile.

17. Job status was occasionally left in running state after all tasks were done.

18. Scheduled incrementals will now always try a VSS snapshot first on XP+ except for continuous incrementals where the user has specified not to use VSS.

19. ShadowProtect service occasionally hung on startup during disk enumeration as it was using a SCSI passthru request to obtain capacity information from CD/DVD drives and there is a bug in the firmware on some of these drives that will cause such a request to hang, and worse, will hang any future request made to the device. A workaround was added which calculates the capacity rather than query for it. In this case it's acceptable for this value to be calculated as this capacity value is only used for display/information purposes, and isn't actually used for any operations, so it's not critical for application functionality.

20. The Recommended (Vista-WinPE) recovery environment altered the system BIOS clock.

21. The Recommended (Vista-WinPE) recovery environment could not assign static IP addresses.

22. An interoperability issue with Trend Micro antivirus which caused a system hang (deadlock).

23. Enhanced Recovery CD boot menu explains the benefits of each recovery environment.

24. Added Close button to the Map Drivers dialog of the Network Configuration Utility.

25. When updating to new version, occasionally, the vsnapvss service would fail to register causing diffgen incrementals to occur instead of quick incrementals.

10. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Nice work Nate. Uninstalled Ver.3 and installed new Ver. last night.

When can we expect the ISO recovery disc? No rush, just askin'

...screamer

11. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I'm not really sure. The ISOs are built and ready to go out, but the web guys are updating the store so that it, like the trial downloads, also automatically uses a download manager (at least that's what I understand is happening) and I suppose they're still working on it. Really, though, your 3.0 ISO should work just fine in the mean time. The are only a couple of changes to the 3.1 recovery environment itself (such as a fix for the time change issue, a fix for the static IP address assignment issue, and some enhanced text on the pre-boot screen).

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

All right!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.