SP2's "Data Execution Protection" and PG full

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nicM, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi :) . Just a question, about the SP2's " Data Execution Protection" : as it looks quite like a PG's Dll injection protection 's substitute :rolleyes: , is there no risks of possible conflicts o_O , between this DEP and PG ? o_O ( full version, protecting programs, I mean ) .
    Well, it seems that this SP2's feature is NOT enabled by default, overall, but for people who will give a try with it, then there will be TWO programs, protecting / locking others programs in memory :eek: . ( Heh, don't know how efficient will be the SP2's one :rolleyes: :D ) . Then, as some programs must be excluded from DEP's monitoring, there will be something to do with PG, I guess o_O .
    So, if someone did -or does- run the both, it would be interresting to know how went things :)

Cheers ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running them both and have had no problems yet ;)

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Bigc73542 :) . OK : reassuring !! :D . I thought that PG should be excluded from DEP's "monitored" programs list, but if you say that there is no problems with it, so nothing to worry about, then... :D . Thanks ;)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally have had no problems with incompatability so hopefully you won't either ;)

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I have had no problems at all here either.

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

To answer the original question, there are no known conflicts.

If anyone is interested in a detailed description of the DEP feature please see this page

Also note the hardware requirements of DEP, as mentioned in that page:

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi :D , and Thanks, Bigc73542, Puff-m-d, and Wayne . Right, only AMD Athlon64, and Opteron stand the "full" DEP protection, which is both "hardware" and "software" protection : but I saw that most of actual processors ( 32 bits, I mean ) stand the "software" protection , and this was the case I was worrying about :doubt: . ( by the way, Microsoft's explanation about this is NOT very limpid :( : looks like even the "software" protection is only for "next" processors, in their link ) .

But Ok :D , so, if there are no repported problems ! :) Thanks !

Bye

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Well, I did install SP2 now, and can tell that "software" DEP IS enabled by default :eek: , even with 32 bits processors . It's set to monitor only "Windows programs and services", but we can add other programs.
    Heh, and NO problems/conflicts with PG neither, here :)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.