SP2's "Data Execution Protection" and PG full

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nicM, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi :) . Just a question, about the SP2's " Data Execution Protection" : as it looks quite like a PG's Dll injection protection 's substitute :rolleyes: , is there no risks of possible conflicts o_O , between this DEP and PG ? o_O ( full version, protecting programs, I mean ) .
    Well, it seems that this SP2's feature is NOT enabled by default, overall, but for people who will give a try with it, then there will be TWO programs, protecting / locking others programs in memory :eek: . ( Heh, don't know how efficient will be the SP2's one :rolleyes: :D ) . Then, as some programs must be excluded from DEP's monitoring, there will be something to do with PG, I guess o_O .
    So, if someone did -or does- run the both, it would be interresting to know how went things :)

Cheers ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running them both and have had no problems yet ;)

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Bigc73542 :) . OK : reassuring !! :D . I thought that PG should be excluded from DEP's "monitored" programs list, but if you say that there is no problems with it, so nothing to worry about, then... :D . Thanks ;)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally have had no problems with incompatability so hopefully you won't either ;)

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I have had no problems at all here either.

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

To answer the original question, there are no known conflicts.

If anyone is interested in a detailed description of the DEP feature please see this page

Also note the hardware requirements of DEP, as mentioned in that page:

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi :D , and Thanks, Bigc73542, Puff-m-d, and Wayne . Right, only AMD Athlon64, and Opteron stand the "full" DEP protection, which is both "hardware" and "software" protection : but I saw that most of actual processors ( 32 bits, I mean ) stand the "software" protection , and this was the case I was worrying about :doubt: . ( by the way, Microsoft's explanation about this is NOT very limpid :( : looks like even the "software" protection is only for "next" processors, in their link ) .

But Ok :D , so, if there are no repported problems ! :) Thanks !

Bye

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Well, I did install SP2 now, and can tell that "software" DEP IS enabled by default :eek: , even with 32 bits processors . It's set to monitor only "Windows programs and services", but we can add other programs.
    Heh, and NO problems/conflicts with PG neither, here :)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.