SP2??

Discussion in 'polls' started by Cochise, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

OK!......Hands-up all those Sucke.....(Edit) All those people who will D/L SP2 without a seconds thought.....Come on......Don't hang back..... Bill needs to know for his Bank Manager........I know for a fact he reads all that goes on at Wilders........the only place that makes any sense of what's real and what's not......If it was'nt for this place the whole Internet would collapse...Long Live Wilders......

Cochise, :cool: (A bit on the Bolshi-side) Had a few single Malts... :D :D

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'll be pulling up the rear, as I did with SP1. :D

I'm rarely on the leading edge of such things. :ninja:

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've gotta go the CD route, since 250 megs (more or less) is out of the question on dialup.

And if SP1 was anything to go by, considering that MS is back to playing games about when they'll even accept orders for the CD's let alone ship them, it's a fair guess that Win Update will already have quite a few patches available by the time the CD's come through.

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Ahh! Haa!....A Man of your Calibre holding back on the advent of SP2....speaks volumes for me......if it ain't good enough for LWM (The Man) then it ain't good enough for the rest of us......so I'm back to 2008 before I give it a go..........Poor ol' Bill will he ever understand us Minions.....we don't ask much do we?......

Cochise, :cool:

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Exactly Mike, and with my Dialup, I could go on Holiday for a week and it would still be Downloading when I got back... :D......Having said that, my ISP is bringing out the 'Darling' Broadband at the end of August....Tesco.net LIVES......so just watch my smoke then....... :D :D

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Cochise, :cool: (A bit on the Bolshi-side) Had a few single Malts... :D :D

Which one pray tell
    ;)

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, long live us all "Creatures of the Wild(ers)" :D

Not me on SP2. One reason is that I am in the process of dumping expiring Norton AV 2004, on both my machines for other good less resource hog AV's . Then I'll see how SP2 Security Monitor handles them. Also waiting on Zone Labs to get their sorry act together on going from 4.5 Pro to 5.this and that. One issue at a time please. :( :doubt:

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

:D :D :D.....Single Malt makes I assume you mean Rainwalker?.....well, the best I can say are any or all that fit nicely into a glass... :rolleyes: I'm very easily pleased.....you name it I'll drink it... :D *puppy*I've never been a proud man ;)

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I find it amusing that while most of you guys would run and quickly test the latest new anti-trojan gaget or to test your defences with some new fangled leak test, something as legimate as Windows XP SP 2 would scare you !

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Not the security issue scares me, but other apps. not running (well).

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Legitimate or not, Micro$oft 'issues' are to be expected, especially initially. I'd rather wait and see what's going to be wrong first, then give them enough more time to come up with fixes for the biggies. Tests and gadgets aren't as apt to impact my entire system.

12. Brent

Brent Registered Member

I downloaded the network install of sp2 and reformated. After I reinstalled windows it was the first thing I installed.

I love it to say the least.

13. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

DUCK....here they come

@RISK: The Consensus Security Vulnerability Alert
    August 16, 2004 Vol. 3. Week 32

Patch Update
    (9) Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

14. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

You see? Just like I said...do you mean others have thought of it, too? ;)

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have it installed on 4 PC's, I noticed a speed increase, everything went smoothly except ZoneAlarm FREE 5.1.011 which spat the dummy and locked my system up, had to uninstall it in Safe Mode. Went back to the last available version of ZA Free 4.5 and everything is back to running smooth.

Cheers :D

16. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

What kind of connection did it speed up for you? (dial-up, DSL or ?)

17. Blackspear

Cable - uncapped speed. Just noticed my system was noticeably faster after installing SP2...

Further comments here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44113

18. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks...I'll follow the link. Noticeably faster on cable is interesting; I've got a cable connection, too!:)

19. Blackspear

No, only my system was noticeably faster...

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Well, hopefully, my system will be faster, too, when the moment is right. Generally, as long as everything is going well, I'm not good enough at straightening out problems to risk giving them to myself by screwing up a process I didn't have to do, in the first place.:D Thanks!

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Not me. I only recently bothered with SP1, and then only because a couple of pieces of software I have require SP1. I admit to downloading SP1 when it first came out. I ended up having to format my drive and reinstall XP. This last download went ok

As for SP2, I'll wait a few years. By then this box will be ready for the dump and I'll have a new Apple, or maybe Linux will be simple enough by then that a computer neanderthal can run it.

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Really? That new fangled firewall with incrediable self-protection quantum signatures technobabblke you are testing is as likely to mess up everything as Windows service packs. Ditto for this new anti-trojan with super duper real time super unzipper facility, which might conflict with your super deluxe antivirus killer.

23. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I don't download testers, AVs, FWs OR from Micro$oft w/o reading about others' experiences, first. That would be dumb. :p

24. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I've been running SP2 on a few machines for about a week now. Certainly I would recommend that those with servers or mission-critical workstations to take a "wait and see" attitude, or to likewise do so simply if you don't enjoy being on the bleeding edge and testing things out on occassion. Take your time, it doesn't cure cancer or end world hunger or anything.

There are lots of little noticeable things I do like about SP2 (pop-up blocker, new wireless configuration, handling of ActiveX/Javascript in IE, built-in Windows Firewall, etc.) Then there are some of the not-so-noticeable things that I like in concept (recompilation of executables to include stack-overflow protection, support for NX on AMD and future processors, thousands of bug fixes small and large, a few smarter default OS configuration choices, etc.) None of it is all that earth-shattering on its own, but taken together there's quite a bit to like. For the sort of individuals that visit Wilder's, you might be less impressed because some of this you can sort of replicate on your own through 3rd party utilities that we all know and love. But, for those that don't know about things like software firewalls, or any AV product other than Norton AV, it is definitely an improvement and having these on by default on the computer's of PC newbies will generally make us all somewhat safer.

There are things I don't like. Performance may seem slightly "snappier" once the machine is up, but I wouldn't say from my own experience that the difference is that big. The trade-off here is that boot-up times seem noticeably longer, even after trying to use tools like defrag and bootvis. For some reason the native IMAPI (Image Mastering API) CD-ROM burning service (imapi.exe) seems to start up right after boot and then shut down even though I have it on manual. I don't remember this behavior previously. The Windows Update Automatic Updates utility/service (wuauctl.exe) apparently has to be enabled for just the plain Windows Update web site to work now, and it seems to take awhile to engage at startup.

There are some minor annoyances so far. However, many of these I hate to blame on SP2 at this point, rather than 3rd party developers that may need to play a little catch up. But definitely there are a few incompatibilities that crop up from time to time. Certainly not any show-stoppers (yet!, knock on wood) and certainly not as many as some sites might lead you to believe. SP2 is definitely working, and fairly well I might add, but every now and then you might run across some behavior that seems a little problematic or a little different than before. Again, though, I hate to pin all of that on Microsoft at this point. (IMHO, Microsoft should be applauded and encouraged for making changes that improve security, even if some 3rd party developers are used to developing in a more "lax" environment and as result some of these other vendors' code occassionally breaks.)

Anyway, those are some of my initial thoughts...

25. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you. :) That's good stuff to know, when the time comes.

The only thing amiss or different with my set-up lately is 3 MFT fragments left over after defragging. I can't see making a change when the system is stable; SP2 will not improve the quality of life, as you said (more or less)!:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.