SP1 & SP2: Worth it?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by whvrgrl, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whvrgrl

whvrgrl Registered Member

I know it's been a long time since Windows SP1 and SP2 were released but I wanted to know if it's worth downloading. On the Windows Update website, it says that soon they will no longer provide updates for non-SP2 computers. I've been reluctant since the files are so big and take so long to download on my dial-up connection. Is it worth the time to download those two?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I downloaded sp2 as soon as it was available and I have never had a problem at all due to sp2. To install sp2 you have to have sp1 installed first. For securitys sake you really should update now.

bigc

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Well worth it. You can always order SP2 on CD from Microsoft, or there are plenty of FREE CD's provided by Microsoft in computer shops and probably Computer Magazines.

Hope this helps..

Cheers :D

4. whvrgr1

whvrgr1 Guest

Thanks, I'll download them as soon as I have time.

I know that SP2 is available on CD. What about SP1?

5. bigc73542

sp1 is on the sp2 disc also ;)

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Actually SP2 includes all of SP1 whether you download or use the CD (I did the latter, since I'm on dialup).

If you go the download route (via Win Updates), the scan it does determines what you already have and what you still need. If you already have SP1 plus you've kept critical upgrades right up to date, the download is more like 75 megs -- the 370 (or whatever) megs you'll see mentioned is essentially if you have to start from scratch with only a fresh-from-the-box copy of XP on your system.

7. whvrgrl

whvrgrl Registered Member

Sorry about the late reply...

Do I need the updates if I don't use IE or the built-in firewall? I use another firewall that works really well.

8. bigc73542

SP2 has a lot of security advances over straight xp. It is highly recomended to update xp to SP2 here is a list of most of the fixes in sp2 here

bigc

9. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Actually what MS says there is: Windows Update will soon require XP SP1 or later.

I know someone else mentioned it, but I'll mention again, SP1 is not a prerequisite for SP2 which contains all the critical updates that were in SP1.

Regards - Charles

10. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I have a toshiba notebook and have been advised by toshiba and as well it is indicated on their support site of about 6 incompatability issues with some of the notebooks re:sp2 and they have advised not to download the updates until these are resolved and that when they have been dealt with that it will be indicated on their support site, for example one of the incompatabilities is their yamaha drivers.
    They have said that since I am dealing with a notebook that they are a more picky box and thus should I try to download them from a general yamaha site as some owners have problems have occurred and then they get calls as to what to do.
    they said the matters should be resolved in 3 - 4 months and to keep checking the support site on a regular basis and implement the program when the manufacturer suggests. thus that is what i am going to do. Wait.
    they did suggest looking for a 3rd party firewall in the meantime and i tried the free ZA plus the purchaseable Zone Alarm 5 Pro and had nothing but headaches with a slow startup and slow browsing and this was with my xp firewall disenabled.
    I have a lot of security programs on it but thought that i would have it checked anyway for spyware, bugs etc. by my trusted techie and nothing was found.
    Once the program was uninstalled and the registry cleaned of program remnants and the xp firewall re enabled the box is operating like its old self again.
    so now its back to looking for a firewall. Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.