Source Exclusion Mask Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lnem2, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnem2

lnem2 Registered Member

Hi,

Before I start, I would like to say that I have tried to search the existing post but was unable to find an answer.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=205779
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1211192&postcount=19
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236352&highlight=source exclusion
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225973&highlight=source exclusion

and read the user manual, section 5.3.6

I am doing daily backups of my data, which includes lots of source code. I would like to be able to exclude all the object file (.obj) but only from specific folders. I tried to form a mask similar to regular expression but the files are not excluded. The mask that I thought that would work is *\Obj\*\*.obj . So I want all the Obj folders that have are at least 1 level deep to exclude all its obj files. Ordinarily I am doing a My Computer backup, but while experimenting on a small sample of test data to get this to work I was doing a My Data backup.

Excluding *.obj works, but I don't want to accidentally exclude files unintentionally.

In all the examples folder exclusion is never mixed with the wildcard.

Is this possible or am I wasting my time?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
    Leon

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lnem2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The scheme you described will not work. Please try to specify the exact path to the folder with .obj files you want to exclude them from.

For example, if you want to exclude two folders with .obj files, create two exclusions:

E:\folder1\*.obj

E:\folder2\*.obj

If the issue still persists, please provide us with the log from failed operation:

Could you please send us the log with the error?

- Start Acronis True Image Home;
    - Select Tools -> Show log;
    - Choose the log entry which contains errors;
    - Click on the diskette icon, choose the location (folder) and save there;
    - Attach your log to message in this thread

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

3. lnem2

lnem2 Registered Member

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your reply.

I do believe that excluding based on what you suggest works (E:\folder1\*.obj). However that would be very difficult for me to list all the folders if the I have to specify the folder hierarchy down to the lowest level, as that would be combinatorially very large number. In any given source root I will have approx. 30 projects, with 4 different build configurations, and I will have 10-20 source folders. Therefore 30x4x10 = 1200 entries, which is not practical to do by hand and impossible to maintain as new folders appear.

I can write a script to generate all the folders that I want to exclude and then add them a backup script. Is that a possible work around? If so, could you direct me to how where Acronis scripts are kept and how to call the through command line.

Regards,
    Leon

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Leon,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The task script is located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts

The main problem is the following: It is not enough to change the script file only, the changes should be fixed in Acronis scheduler. I suppose, the desired operation is impossible.

I will create a CLS request (Customer Listening System), maybe, the possibility to add the file exclusion list will be implemented for the future releases.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.