Sorry for my Ignorance

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Sorry but like to know if is the same product:

Comman Antivirus and F-Prot or are different products ?

Command has Try before at Buy ?

Thank you,

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

They are different products, but Command AV uses the F-Prot scanning engine - much in the same way a number of other AV's use the Kaspersky engine. They are not KAV, but have similar detection characteristics.

Blue

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I use Command AV it seems to be very good. However, BigC has had nasty service support experience and I will not renew. I will let BigC speak to this, he is always quick and offers good advice. :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

larouse

You have to fill out a form for a trial of Command.

Command trial

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As far as i can tell Command AV is a tweaked up F-Prot engine based antivirus.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In AV tests such as THIS ONE Command & F-prot always show effectiveness rates that are basically equal to one another. As noted above, they use the same engine.

Command is more configurable than F-prot, but F-prot will GREATLY improve itself in version 4.0, expected to begin beta testing before year-end. I asked Frisk (the F-prot producers) if buying a license now would entitle me to a free upgrade to version 4.0 within the next 12 months. They said "Yes."

In a post elsewhere in these forums, Blackcat said that the Command folks said that an upgrade of F-prot would NOT necessarily cause an equivalent & immediate upgrade to Command.

On that basis, plus bigC's bad experience with Command's NON-support, I would prefer F-Prot. F-prot's support, by the way, is simply THE best I have ever experienced.

When/if you decide to buy, FP costs $29 HERE or, from its USA reseller, RAE.

You can get Command for $19.95 (with NO support included) from HERE.

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

You can download a trial version here without having to fill in any forms. You can't update the definitions for this version however, so the protection it offers will diminish.

After reading BigC's experiences I'm glad I didn't choose Command. It's a good AV, but really aimed at the corporate market.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

command does use an altered f-prot engine, command suppliments the f-prot defs with their own along with trojan ,worm and malware defs from commands own virus labs. I have had very bad support with command but I will not take away from their excellent antivirus, it is a world class av and seems to work well on almost any machine or os. "see os list on their web page"

bigc

9. westwind

westwind Registered Member

they use the same engine, but small differecne between database

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.