Sorry, but TrueImage 9 sucks...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stippy_420, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stippy_420

stippy_420 Registered Member

The app frequently reboots whenever it feels like it while looking for a system on the net.. just POP, reboot. Sometimes 2-3 times before it works. Sometimes right in the middle of typing the server name. This happens on any of the systems we have (4 different model Dells and several "homebuilt" systems and yes, I've made several boot CDs. In fact, I just installed TI9 on a new system and made another new CD)

I have the same images on 2 servers... 1/2 the time, when I connect to either server Acronis shows ZERO TIB files. ZERO FILES PERIOD. Hmm.. seems to be well over 25 TIB files there... let's try again. Nope... Let's reboot one more time.. Oh look, files! WTF!? While typing this, it took me 5 TRIES to get this stupid app to see the files it created on either server. Again, this happens ALMOST ALL THE TIME. Infuriating is an understatement.

2. Volatile

Volatile Registered Member

I've been in support for over 6 years and worked with computers for for much longer. I recently bought a version of TI9.1 to test its ability against our servers. I had my own problems with this software but found those problems to be that of errors on my end. In dealing with support I find that 90% of the time the issue is with the end user. So far I have been happy with the outcome of my test with the software and it, so far, is working perfectly for what we need.

3. stippy_420

Well, I've been in tech support for over 15 years and I've never had any issue like this with Ghost (or any other business app). I'd entertain the idea of user error, but there's pretty much nothing for the user to mess up. Click restore, go to the location, choose the file, choose the drive(s). Click go, ok, whatever. Plus, it's not just me having these issues, it's all 3 of us IT guys here.

When the app decides to play nice, it works great. Images are restored fast, RAID and all.

4. Volatile

Volatile Registered Member

well in any case, if you would like help with your thread... I would suggest describing your issue in more detail; event log messages, error messages (#, ID), what your specifically trying to do (not-like hardware), system specs, etc.

5. stippy_420

No logs, no errors. This is off the Rescue Media CD. I don't know what else to post that I haven't posted already... Random reboots while looking for/connecting to a server and _IF_ it connects, it frequently sees ZERO files in the share. This happens on both servers that I keep the files on. It usually takes several reboots to get it to see the TIB files. Yes, REBOOTS. Just going to the other server usually locks up the app after I put in the user/pass. One of the servers is dedicated for my use, so there's no traffic/high CPU use and the other is a major file server for this floor. If there was a problem with the server, we'd hear about it in no time.

This happens on our Dell 370s, 380s and 470s. All of each model systems are identical. (all 470s the same config, etc)

At this point, it's faster for me to build each PC manually. =(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Are you trying to get Acronis 9 to work on your server or Acronis 9.1 SERVER for windows ?

7. stippy_420

Nope, that's not it. We're not even running a server version, just dumping the files on a server share.

However, I borrowed a newer version (Home version no less)of the bootable CD from another company in our building and everything now works. I can connect to each server share with no problems and the new version has yet to randomly reboot on me. Obviously, version 9 is a buggy pile of... software.

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Quite frankly BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ is a better choice. I almost never use the Linux based rescue CD.

9. Long View

thomasjk I know that a lot of people like Bart PE but I'm still trying to understand why. If there is a hardware problem and the linux based disk doesn't work then I can understand why. A little while ago I made a Part PE disk and it works fine. It does take a bit longer to use but it works. But then so does the linux disk.

So if the linux disk works is there a benefit that I'm missing by not using Bart PE ?

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

With certain hardware combinations the Linux disc may work but very slowly.
    So the benefit can be a huge increase in speed. This is usually in the restore mode. If backups can be done from Windows they are usually fast anyway.

Xpilot

11. Long View

Thanks for confirming my suspicions - Useful if Linux doesn't work or is slow.
    In my case the linux disk has always been fine (one build in 9 was an exception)
    when I tried the Bart PE disk I was slightly disappointed because it gave me no speed increase.

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

OTOH you can play, sorry use a whole host of other plugins with a Bart PE CD. It's prime purpose was never just to run TI.

Xpilot

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I haven't measured it with a watch but I feel that the BartPE CD takes longer to load and start TI. The performance improvement while running TI is zero so I stay with the TI CD when I use a CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.