Sophos UTM Home Edition

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheKid7, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Has anyone given Sophos UTM Home Edition a try? Feedback?

I have a 'not so old PC' with two NIC's. I am thinking about given it a try sometime in the future.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Thanks for heads up, i'm going to try it today.

rules.

3. Spiedbot

Spiedbot Guest

"Our Free Home Use Firewall is a fully equipped software version of the Sophos UTM firewall, available at no cost for home users – no strings attached. It features full Network, Web, Mail and Web Application Security with VPN functionality and protects up to 50 IP addresses. The Sophos UTM Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance. Just right for the spare PC you have sitting in the corner!"

4. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

5. TheKid7

It is my understanding that the Sophos UTM Home Edition has the option of using two (2) Antivirus Engines (Avira & Sophos). One (1) is used with the default settings. It sounds good to have scanning with two different AV Engines.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Very interesting indeed!

Use a spare PC as a dedicated firewall gives you Entreprise strength protection.

On the other hand, I suspect your home electric bill will take a hit.:(

7. TheKid7

The spare PC that I am thinking about using has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM (Hardware Dated around the Year 2007). I purchased an Intel PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC a couple of years ago thinking that I was going to use the PC as an UTM. I tried out Untangle at that time but something did not seem to work out (It was probably me.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.