Sophos UTM 9

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have got my home licence for this and now i just need to buy some hardware to run it on. Im gonna contact sophos to find out if the cheapest sophos hardware is cheaper than building a cheap base unit. I have tryed sophos endpoint protection in the past and it is a great product. being able to use it at home for free will be great.

3. mack_guy911

even you dont use or like endpoint the astaro gateway is alone the reason to use it i using atsaro gateway since 3-4 years now and i say its best all you need is cheap hardware to run on.

4. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

How do you compare the FREE web filtering of the Sophos Solution to Untangle solution?
    I know that the Free Untangle WebFiltering Solution is rudimentary at best, since it only covers few categories and less then 1million entries.
    The Paid solution which is $25 a month is very very nice but again it's $25 a month.

how does sophos compare?

5. mack_guy911

6. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Sweet!
    Thanks!
    How often is the webfilter updated?
    Are the definitions in the cloud or locally downloaded?
    Can I add my own blocklist from let say fanboy's list for AdBlocker?
    Finally, does it block Command And Control servers and as a virtue how often is that list updated?

7. mack_guy911

yes you can add your sites list too but it might make your system slow responce better in what i used to do by default it block .exe..........extetions i only allow those which i use from site rest 99% virus...sites block because of extention it self also it has very strong IPS as well

as far webfilter no idea how often it update as astaro dont offer individual package update

but update as whole system in 2 forum only defination update and system upgrade

their site repo is based on this

http://www.trustedsource.org.

antivirus avira/sophos

for more please check these

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/unified/utm/features.aspx

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. AHomeUser

AHomeUser Registered Member

Ok guys, embarssingly I'm asking for help here with the basic (home) licensed UTM 9. I built a small home network with a web server and smtp server. Downloaded UTM 9 thinking it looks like a great product. Planniing to purchase a license IF I can get things to work!
    Here's the problem, I've built and operated all kinds of firewalls (CISCO, Palo Alto, etc) and other security devices so I'm not new to the process. It has been a while granted but remember my way around. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to allow traffic into my SMTP server or web server by greating rules! Can anyone help me out here?
    Thanks in advance!

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its unnecessary. Unix users do NOT need anti-virus!

I've never had a need for them on my Linux and Mac computers.

10. mack_guy911

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.