Sophos Anti-Virus 5.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Thanks for the news, hope they have better detection now... Because the simply s*ck in your tests :)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder how good Genotype(TM) Technology is...

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

The version Av compare tested was 3.9

And the new version released was version 5

What happen to version 4?

Anyway i am hoping they will improve. Since there is more UK company and University now being protected by them. ( May be time to get my hands on it and test it ^^ )

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well we will find out in May when the next Retrospective test results comes out.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, it seems to be gaining in popularity here both with Big Business and the Universities.

Apparently over 60% of the Stock market top 100 Companies in the UK now use this AV.

And at my University, they have just started to trial the Enterprise version on the gateway, some servers and laptops. It is supposedly cheaper than McAfee and therefore the beancounters here may suggest a switch.

Not sure about protection but support is supposed to be superb.

But still not considered a suitable Home AV.

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

No. Because in May the version of February will be tested (as it is a retrospective test). BTW, the 5.0 is maybe just the version of the GUI (o_O), the version number 3.91 can be still found under the Info. I asked Sophos for a license for the 5.0 version, as maybe with a full working license for 5.0 the detection rate is different (as so far I see no difference regarding detection rate; so I can atm not say anything about Genotype - I will wait for the license). Maybe Genotype does not apply to on-demand scans? Maybe it is something like TruPrevent of Panda. Dunno, we will see...

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Yea.. i have heard my Uni are testing on it as well. Anybody knows anything about its resource usage?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.