Sony VPCX125LG-lockup 64G SSD -NOD32/V6

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Coolsiggy, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolsiggy

Coolsiggy Registered Member

I recently discovered after 3 warranty claims and almost 5 months of repair delays that NOD32/6.0.316 has been a part cause of lockup problem with my Sony VPCX125LG Laptop. This laptop uses a 64G SSD drive. This was confirmed on the last warranty return when after a clean install of Win7Pro/32, including windows updates and Sony Vaio Updates I installed Google Chrome followed by NOD32/V6. After 10-15mins the Laptop locked, display was good but no disk. keyboard or mouse activity, this was repeated many times until NOD32 was uninstalled. I am now using AVG free.
    The #1 repair replaced a cooling fan, overheating & lockup. #2 replaced the LCD panel damaged during first repair. #3 replaced the 64G SSD drive.
    NOD32 and possibly other factors appear to have a problem with SSD drives as all my other non-SSD W7 systems use NOD32 without a problem. Prior to the first overheating problem I had been using NOD32/V4?
    I would appreciate any help, please.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am running ESET's software on two desktops systems (Asus P6 Deluxe V1 (Samsung SSD), MSI X58M (Kingston SSD) and Thinkpads' T23 (Samsung SSD), T42 (OCZ SSD), T43p (Intel SSD), T61p (Corsair SSD), W510 (Samsung and Crucial SSDs), 2×X100e's (Kingston SSD, Crucial SSD) X120e (Corsair SSD) and X220 (MyDigital and Samsung SSDs) at home and at work have a SSD-equipped Samsung Series 7 Slate (Samsung) and ThinkPads T410s (Kingston) and X61 (Kingston). I have not noted any anomalous behavior with ESET's software (or anyone else's, for that matter) relating to the SSDs on those units.

I have had one SSD fail within a couple of hours after installation, but that unit was treated as DOA. It also occurred when I was trying to load an OS into it during a system rebuild, so I don't think any software was a factor in that failure.

Oh, I should note that I disable hibernation and minimize pagefie size on the SSD-equipped systems, or at least the ones to which I have admin rights.

There have been surveys and reports on the reliability of SSDs, and from what I understand, the annualized failure rate for them is just under 2%, compared to just under 1% for conventional rotating media-type hard disk drives.

My suspicion is that the SSD just failed prematurely.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Coolsiggy

Thanks for you comments, I have had a reply from Eset stating that there are no known problems with SSD and NOD32 however outdated/faulty drivers have been known to cause this problem, they recommended a Memory dump to locate the culprit. I'm just know completing a full update and will check my drivers... requires further testing etc.

4. Coolsiggy

Update, the laptop has had the SSD replaced, further tests show both NOD32/V4 and AVG Free run without fault. Possibly updated Sony drivers may fix the problem but obviously some interaction between NOD32/V6 and the Sony drivers has created a conflict. Until I find the answer I'll be stuck with NOD32/V4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.