Sony related CLSID in Custom Blocking..

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Carol30, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol30

Carol30 Registered Member

I have had SpywareBlaster for quite some time now. I've never used the "Custom Blocking" feature. Every once in a while, I "check up on it" to make sure all is status quo. I found one lone entry for Sony ("CLSID:4EA7C4C5-C5C0-4F5C-A008-8293505F71CC" ) I don't know how it got there. After doing some searching, I found a previous thread dating back to November. I see where it's related to the rootkit issue, but I'm still questioning how it got there. Was it through an update? I know for sure I didn't put it there. Up until last night.. I wouldn't have even known how to!

I don't believe it's doing harm, but am still curious to know how it got there.

Any input?

Carol

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Spywareblaster only adds entries to the Internet Explorer ActiveX section and that Sony entry did not come due to a Spywareblaster update. The only 2 ways to have entries in that section is to manually add it via the program or to have a customblocking.txt file in the C:\Program Files\Spywareblaster folder with the Sony entry contained.

3. Carol30

Bubba..

Kindly excuse my naivette, I'm not well-versed in all this. I just looked in my Program files and found the customblocking.txt within the folder. Is that a feature of SpywareBlaster? So I ask again.. if it isn't.. are you saying I would have had to put it there??

Maybe I've had a "senior moment" or two.. but not many more than that.

Thanks for your quick reply...
    Carol

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That file is how a Spywareblaster user can add their own items and when an item is added via the program the customblocking.txt file is created also.

BTW....is that the only entry contained in that customblocking.txt file :doubt:

5. Carol30

LOL Okay.. make that 3 "senior moments". And since no one comes near this computer.. lord know's how many more there were.. and what I did during those moments! ;)

Thanks Bubba.. I do appreciate it...
    Carol

(I don't know what happened to your last post..but you could have left it in. There was no need to "clean it up". It was funny. Now I'll keep my comment in.. and let it be.. "orphaned". :( )

BTW.. It is the only one in the folder.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome Carol ;)

Lord knows I don't know what you are talking about unless you are having another "senior moment" :eek: ;)

Just curious....what date does that customblocking.txt file show ??

7. Carol30

If I'm not confusing the folder with SpywareGuard's or Ewido's (;)).. the only entry is dated January 15, 2006 and show's:

[Header]
    ListNumber=1

[0]
    Name=Sony
    CLSID=CLSID: {4EA7C4C5-C5C0-4F5C-A008-8293505F71CC}

Can I assume... :) .. there is nothing amiss? I've got so much "stuff" going on, I'm a bit hesitant to start messing with all the features of all the applications. (i.e I don't use Teatimer. I'm afraid of too many "conflicts of interests".) Is this a feature I should be utilizing? (IYHO)

Thanks again..
    Carol

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Looks hunky dory to me and represents the one entry you are seeing.

In regards to the TeaTimer question....it would be best and proper if you would Please start a thread in our privacy & other anti-malware software forum listing all the Security\Privacy software you are using.

9. Carol30

Bubba..

I'm not questioning you.. but I am wondering why I would have created such a file month's after the fact. Unless I was either obsessed with it, or had two feet in the grave. (Neither of which is true)

Does that file get updated? I won't ask anymore questions after this one. As long as it's not harmful.. I'll try to leave it be.

Thanks.. yet again..
    Carol

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I have no problem being questioned since senior moments happen here also :blink:
    First and foremost it is not harmful. Secondly....I'll definetly have no problem if others prove me otherwise but I do not have a customblocking.txt file on any workstations with Spywareblaster installed and I have updated each time Javacool has come out with an update.

BTW....are you using version 3.5.1 ?

11. Carol30

Thank you Bubba..

You've given me all the information I had wanted to know. I generally want to know the why's and wherefore's of everything.. sometime's taking it a bit too far. I think I may now know who "had to have" created it. o_O Thank you!

All your input is very much appreciated..
    Carol

BTW.. using the current version.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

At least they done a good thing whomever it was :shifty:

BTW....who was it ?

Also....don't be concerned about all the why's and wherefore questions....that's how we all learn. Yes, No and because answers are to dull sometimes :blink:

Take care,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.