Sometimes pc cpu goes to 100% and hang...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    What should I do to help cpu not to go to 100%?

sometimes when it peak to 100%, the pc hangs and could not move that I have to wait long and sometimes I have to restart the pc.

I already have tuneup utilities 2011 installed, and even turn on the Turbo mode but still it could goes to 100% cpu cycle.

What should I do?

PC still - Pentium 4 2.4Ghz, Windows XP SP3 with 256 Ram memory.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Can you add more ram? As much as you can

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

@sweater: At least add 256 MB more RAM (better to have 1 GB at least). Remove unnecessary startup items and do not run several programs at same time. Moreover, run Task Manager and keep an eye on process, which utilizes maximum CPU. Report here process name.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Process lasso would be much better ,than using tuneups turbo mode.It will also show which program or process is hogging the cpu.You need to identify whats causing the cpu utilization firstly.
    ellison

5. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

which process is causing 100% CPU??

I think TU 2011 is heavy for ur system.

6. sweater

I think it freezes only most of the time during the start-up then after that my pc runs smoothly. I even suspect that this happens after the installations of security patch updates of Microsoft, and also after NOD32 updates when re-started the pc. Is this natural and can happens sometimes?

Maybe...Avast 5 free is more "lighter"?

Just wondering if this normal, having 2 Network Service running and sometimes cpu goes high on this processes.

Attached Files:

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

it should be Eset's scheduled startup scan. u can turn it off, if u r sure ur pc is not infected. *Also Not recommended.;)

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

google how much ram your pc can handle. sometimes the owner's manuals for older machines incorrectly identify the max ram limit - this was the case with a Dell desktop that I use as my secondary computer at home. It was supposed be maxed out at 512 MB or 1 GB. Right now it's running fine with 2 GB of ram installed.

9. sweater

Yap, it's now ok. RAM installed was now 760 MB (w/ aluminum heat spreader to reduce heat). I also installed CleanMem and Process Lasso (really looks cool). I think I don't have a need to install 2 Gig Ram coz I just uses my pc most of the time for surfing the net. Probably maybe if I use this machine for video editing and other intensive multiple tasks that I should consider upgrading it into dual/quad core w/ 2 Gig Ram memory.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had this problem on an old notebook. Adding more RAM is obviously the answer, but I've also found out that disabling the automatic Windows Updates will speed up dramatically your start up. Most important updates from MS are monthly (second Tuesday), so you can do/check it manually whenever is necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.