Somethings not right...

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by manOFpeace, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hi, 9 times out of 10 when I click on a link I get the picture below, would this be a site fault or my computer which goes OK other sites.

Attached Files:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Something missing from your computer, not sure as to what though o_O

Sorry to be of no help...

Cheers :)

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi manOFpeace,

This sounds like something that happened to me.

In internet options, general, accesability, see if your css box is checked, you may have used it for a page print and forgot to disable it.

Clearing this may alleviate the problem...

GF

4. manOFpeace

Thanks Blackspear.

GlobalForce, all 4 boxes were unchecked (not checked). o_O

5. GlobalForce

Have you also checked your internet zones mOp?

If you have lots of stuff disabled in the internet zone and that shows at the bottom of the Wilders page (internet globe), you may need to add that to the "trusted sites."

You mentioned other sites are O.K.

See if you can differentiate anything on the screen between a good page, and the Wilders page for clues.

If not, I'm sure someone will jump in...

GF

6. GlobalForce

Oh mOp

I just noticed your screenshot.

Done, but with errors on the page.

This will sometimes happen when jumping somewhere else before the page loads. Maybe a clean shot at refresh, after page load?

Also try the Wilders page with other apps closed (not virus).

This may alert you.

GF

7. manOFpeace

GlobalForce, thankfully the problem seems to have moved on. At this time it is working perfectly.And I haven't a clue as to what it was. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. ;)

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It'd be interesting to know what the errors on the page are. I believe you can double-click that error icon on the lower left of the IE page and a report of the specific errors will open up.

I've never seen the entire forum index (ie. the main list of all forums and forum sections) go missing on the page before. I have seen images go missing and that's often been cache related - overloaded or corrupted caching of some sort. Clearing the cache and restarting the browser is usually enough to take care of that though. (You may want to make sure you are taking good advantage of caching of images with healthy cache settings in your browser.)

9. manOFpeace

Hi LowWaterMark, The little error icon is not there anymore. That is all I got all last night and up until about now. I do empty the cache many times a day. I don't quite understand your sentence in brackets.
    There seemed to be a few times if I used the links on the bottom of the page I could get around that way. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  10. GlobalForce

Hi again mOp,

What I believe LWM is referring to Is your IE cache.

In IE go tools, internet options, general, settings (in middle right screen), then look at "amount of disc space to use."

If you toy with a lot of images (they eat ram), you may want to increase the file size. Try this, I think this was where LWM was going.

If you experience this problem again, do as LWM suggests, click errors icon,
    and save the report.

This may be helpful for others to pinpoint, should the event arise.

GF

11. manOFpeace

Thanks GlobalForce, it's odd that it started when it did, I haven't been doing anything different to other days and not working with images these past couple of days.
    Anyway thanks for your time, also other persons. ;)

12. GlobalForce

People here at Wilders, including guests, are either here for help, or to offer it.
    The door swings both ways.

Everyone knows a bit about something when it comes to problems.

On behalf of others in this thread, your quite welcome. :) :cool:

In the future mOp, if somebody mentions instructions you don't understand,
    grab the keywords from the text and check them out in the index (systems help file or IE help).

This may also be a useful link for reference (search alphabetically).

Don't forget, if this happens again, save a screenshot of the errors (if possible) and post in this same thread. It will probably move back a few pages, but a fresh post will usually revert back to the first page where someone will see it, O.K. ;)

GF

13. manOFpeace

Thanks. :) I notice your link starts with SP2. I am deliberately going to have a go without any MS patches at all. My security should help a long way. I have nothing at the moment on my computer I care too much about so can reinstall XP Home anytime.
    I posted elsewhere that I reformatted and reinstalled all my spyware and AV + all other stuff. I finished off with SP1 disk and it completely drove computer crazy, how it escaped crashing, I don't know. I had to pull the wall plug to get it stopped. (Maybe starting with SP1 would have helped.)
    Anyway not missing much not having SP2 by the look of things. :eek:
    I also do believe it is slightly faster without SP1 and about 60 patches. :rolleyes:

14. GlobalForce

The link is only TO that site.
    SP2 just happens to be the main page.

I said :
    That's ALL.

What you wrote after the first paragraph is being discussed in another forum.

I've enjoyed watching this thread.

If the problem was resolved for now, that's Great! :D

GF

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  15. manOFpeace

Good Morning, here is to-days error, I then went to links at bottom of page and got in that way. :)

Attached Files:

16. GlobalForce

Back so soon?

This one's beyond my scope at the moment. But I'm sure Mr. LWM will like to have a looksee at it.

I'm not to versed in the field of diagnostics, but this may actually have to do with a "parsing" element
    (possibly your system, going back to Blackspears comment, "something missing").

I think LWM or someone else should follow up on this for you, O.K. mOp.
    Sorry I don't have the answer... :doubt:

GF

17. GlobalForce

Just a wild thought mOp.

You could in the meantime search your problem using the keywords of your post.

Just a thought.

GF

18. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Weird -- this one will definitely have to wait for LWM, he's the expert at (and does virtually all the work here on) page design and site maintenance.

What it vaguely looks like is a compatibility error between a browser and HMTL coded for a specific browser's "dialect". But LWM is very fastidious about sticking to "generic" HMTL so that any browser can read and display pages here properly.

Hang in there, we'll come up with answers yet. :cool:

19. manOFpeace

Thanks GF and MikeBCda. :)

20. manOFpeace

And one more just in case it's of further value. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. GlobalForce

Thank's for jumping in Mike.

Not the last person I expected, but a nice surprise! ;)

I don't know enough about this to make a call.

Are you paying attention mOp, I know I am. :cool:

GF

22. LowWaterMark

I'm afraid I have no specific ideas for you mOp.

I have to suspect that it is something wrong on your system given the specific error you are getting here, ie. Syntax error at Line: 2 Char: 1 - on the main forum index page. If there was a syntax error on the main index page then I'd expect to see everyone getting it. I use IE here and see no error messages.

Also, the error from that other site from your second image... If you are seeing a significant number of parsing errors in IE, across multiple sites, then there must be something else at work.

General suggestions apply: perhaps you need to repair IE; perhaps some web filtering or proxy is getting in the way (maybe from an application on your system if you use such things, or perhaps at your ISP who might be running proxies or cache servers to speed up access, but are somehow corrupting the data stream for you); "spyware" - perhaps there is something on your system, again managing the data stream and interfering with your browsing sessions.

23. manOFpeace

LowWaterMark, not unless this has something to do with AdShield, I had a lot of hassle with it over the weekend. See attachment. When I r/clicked screen to bring up AdShield it presented me with that in attachment. After that AdShield was completely dead. It was OK before reformat but wasn't helpful about being changed over.
    It is interesting that if I use the bottom links I can move around WSF OK. :)

Attached Files:

24. LowWaterMark

Is AdShield still enabled or did you disable it when it went completely dead?

In any case, that is among the type of applications I was talking about. If AdShield works via either proxy or IE plug-in so that it can scan and filter the HTTP data stream (presumably to remove Ads given the product name) then it certainly could be disrupting these pages.

The filtering out of images from the first image you posted could well be AdShield mistakenly targeting those images as if they were Ads of some type. Or, the images simply may not display because of corruption in the page code itself because of other filtering it is doing.

I took a quick look at http://www.intranetjournal.com/spyware/ (where you got the other errors earlier today) and saw nothing unusual there either. It is a very different type of site than this though, which confirms to me that something local to your system is messing up the data sent between some webservers and your browser.

If AdShield is still enabled maybe you ought to disable it when these errors are happening and restart your browser to see the effect, if any.

25. manOFpeace

Thanks LowWaterMark, AdShield is gone forever, I have given up hope, it was a very useful utility. I have it off my machine altogether. Would it be helpful to reinstall system again? :)
    XP Home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.