Something is wrong.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by JeFFnG, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

Hi there, I'm new in this forum and am a beta user for ESET Nod32 v4.0.68 (as shown when mouse hovered over NOD32 icon on system tray), and lately, I have a "little" problem with ESET. First of, I couldn't connect to any of ESET's website. Well, the problem I get is Page Load Error, it seems that "some", as in, some ads actually, am getting the same thing, Error 404.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3386/asdyo4.png

I frequently get

This also causes me not to be able to update my antivirus. Not really if that its though. I constantly get "Virus signature database could not be updated." -an error occurred while downloading update files.

And it seems, my "license" has expired. I'm not sure if the date being used is American or Asian format. Well, I'm seeing 02/03/2009. So, is that 2nd of March or 3rd of February. Looking forward to a quick reply :) Thanks in advance.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's odd. Can you access any other security vendor site? Try to access www.kaspersky.com, www.bitdefender.com, www.avast.com, www.avg.com, www.f-secure.com, www.avira.com.

That's just to make sure you ain't being blocked to access security vendors site by malware. Sometimes, malware block access, by placing entries in the HOSTS file.

If for some reason, you're able to access the domains I mentioned, try deleting the HOSTS file and see if you can access www.eset.com. (If you're using Windows XP/Vista the HOSTS file is placed at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\)

Also check if you aren't using some IP blocklists that may be blocking access to Eset servers.

That's also odd. My license hasn't expired, so I guess it will end in the 2nd day of March.

Regards

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

European time format is dd/mm/yyyy. The beta license will automatically expand to a later date at some point, or a new beta will become available.

4. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

At first: You have - at least - nearly 1 month left until the beta license expires. So this is not the reason for the problem.

For getting help you have to give more information.
    Which Windows version and patch level?
    Do you use NOD AntiVirus or Suite?
    Do you use any firewall? Which one?
    Which product did you use before installing NOD V4?
    What did you do with this old product before installing NOD V4?
    What is the number and date of the definitions-database at now?
    Can you connect to any other site? (noone here can see, if you posted with the same machine)
    Which other security programs are installed?
    Did you do a system scan with NOD or another scanning product?
    Do you have the opportunity to connect to the Internet with another pc or go with this pc to another connection (e. g. a friend)?

P.S. Do not delete the Hosts file. You can open it with notepad and paste the content here for a first check, if there is something strange.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

Tried all the websites, no problem. Accessible. And opened the HOSTS file too, nothing is in the host file. I mean, something odd. These are the readable line by the system :
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com

I also recently reformatted, about a month ago? And installed the beta antivirus as I have the installer downloaded before I reformatted.

1) Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1.
    2) Nod32 Antivirus
    3) Firewall, default Windows, I switched Windows Defender off.
    4) None. Fresh, clean install Vista without Antivirus before ESET NOD32 v4.
    5) Refer to number 4.
    6) 3821, 20090203
    7) Yes, I can connect to any other websites, but -some- ads on some random webs are giving me Error 404.
    [noparse]:cool:[/noparse] No other security program.
    9) I did a scan yesterday, full scan, no malware, whatsoever found.
    10) I don't get it, sorry. =/
    11) HOSTS file is posted above this quote.

And thanks for the reply :)

6. Cosmo 203

It appears, that your machine had connection until Tuesday with Eset.
    The address http:/eset.com (taken from the pic) does work here, but gets linked to http:/www.eset.com.

I have XP, so I cannot check, how the hosts file has to look in Vista.

Taken this
    the first line is OK in any case. I am not sure about the 2 others. You may place a # in front of the lines to dissable them temporarily and reboot. (Wondering about their content: blocking adobe activation? Hm, I do not believe that this comes with Vista.)

So, you have to think about, what you changed on your machine since Feb 3th (the last update day). You could also try to connect using IE, but I do not really believe, that a probably FF problem has something to do with definition updates.

If nothing helpes: Uninstall NOD, reboot and make a fresh new install.

7. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

I myself have not seen the second one, but the third is obviously the Adobe's product, I don't really know which as I have CS3s and CS4s installed. Anyway, I use, Flock, Firefox and IE. None could connect to ESET, still.

The same goes to a web from Windows Live Messenger. When I clicked on the email button, (when it shows it has (1)Mail then I click) and it links to "http://g.msn.com/5meen_my/11" and I get the same error as "eset.com". I do not have any idea if it is the ISP blocking it, why would they block "eset.com" in the first place. Oh well. I'll try uninstalling and rebooting.

8. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

For some reason, I couldn't edit the post above, but anyway, I've already uninstalled and rebooted, and installed again, but this time I'm trying v3.0.684 trial-mode. Still couldn't update, and/or connect to "www.eset.com". But uhh, 1 thing though, this time the error connecting to the server was, "Connection Interrupted".

Thanks in advance.

9. Cosmo 203

The problem obviously can be dated between Feb 3rd and yesterday, but you are the only one who can find out, what you have changed in between the 2 days.

If you cannot, make a system restore to a date before the definitions update. You can find the exact time in the log.

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Does the problem occur if you use a different web browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Guys, no need to worry about the entry ::1 localhost in the HOSTS file. It's IPv6.

::1 represents the loopback.

It's the equivalent to 127.0.0.1 localhost, we find in IPv4.

You'd be surprised with the amount of connections done using this version, already.

No worries.

Regards

12. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

Yes, it still occur. No matter what kind of web browser. I tried Firefox, Flock, and IE. The three of them are giving the same error.

Since I removed the Beta version, I reinstalled a trial V3. And it still wouldn't patch. I guess I'll have to use other Antivirus for the time being, until I can get my PC to be able to connected to ESET.com

13. norky

norky Registered Member

Can you ping eset.com or run a tracert? try going to 72.3.254.86 in your browser too.

14. JeFFnG

JeFFnG Registered Member

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=67239718zd3.jpg

I've tried going to 72.3.254.86 but still, no avail.

And have a look at the picture, I tried Norton this time, I am still getting the same error, internet not connected whatsoever. This could be malware preventing, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.