Some Thoughts On Outpost Pro?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mannaggia, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hello. Does anyone here use or is familiar with Outpost Pro? Is it a good firewall? How does it stack up against Zone Alarm Pro? I have tried the trial version of Outpost Pro. It seems nice, but I wanted to get some feedback before I purchased it.

2. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Its a very fine firewall! and so is ZA. used ZA before
    I found Outpost.
    Oupost takes some getting used to(rules and all)
    and is a great work in progress.
    I am bias and I think it kicks butt!!
    stop by the forum if you have time
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/index.php?s=
    We very freindly!!! And can get you going

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Mannaggia

I've used Outpost Pro for a while now. I played around with Kerio, Sygate, and ZA(free). Tried my best to go with a free solution, but I liked Outpost Pro so much I paid for it.

The interface is easy and intuitive.
    The plug-ins can handle all sorts of conveniences, like blocking active-x, pop-ups, cookies, ads, etc.
    The user's forum is nothing short of fantastic. The users over there even write their own plug-ins and share with the rest of the community.

I found Kerio way too difficult to use, Sygate not very intuitive, though easier than Kerio, and ZAFree too simple, if you can believe that.

I've read hearty endorsements from users of all these firewalls, and I believe all of them. There's not a bad one in the bunch. But I am far and away most comfortable using Outpost, and that counts when using something as complex as a firewall.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know how your decision goes.

4. casp99

casp99 Registered Member

I've been using OP pro for over a year now. I tried ZA and Kerio, but like OP a lot more. The plug-ins are great and it uses less resources than ZA did. The OP v2 has recieved very good reviews from various sources too. :cool:

5. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

I have been using OP ever since it came out with the free version. I use OP ProV2 and have used OP free OpPro V1 and ZA free I did not like the way ZA worked on my computer. I tried Sygate but could not figure out how to use it. Also I found out the Hard way that I could not run ZA and Sygate on my computer at the same time.

I prefer OpProV2. :D But that is just my opinion.

Most all FireWalls have a 30 day trial. Give them a try and if do not like then you can always come back to OpPro or use one of the ones you had tried.

The final decision will have to be yours to see what works best for you and what you like. All Fire Walls have a learning curve.

Out Post also has a great Forum. :D

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And removing OPpro is easy (try that with ZA).
    Yes I removed it, I'm waiting for the next beta :)

7. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Wow. I didn't know Outpost firewall was so popular.

I tried Sygate but didn't like it that much. I never tried Kerio. So it is between ZAP and Outpost Pro. Some sites I visit run smoother with OP than they do with ZAP. But ZAP is so easy to use. I was a little intimidated at first with OP. I'm not familiar with setting rules for firewalls. I didn't want to do something that would compromise my security. I know OP has pre-sets like ZAP, but I couldn't help thinking what would happen if I did need to configure a rule. I guess that is what the OP forum is for.

I think I will go with Outpost Pro because of the fact that some sites I visit run smoother.

Thanks everyone for responding to my question. I appreciate it.

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Good choice Mannaggia! If you can't deal with the rest,
    come and get the best!! ;) ;)
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.