Some Questions Please

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Thankful, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

1. What are the benefits/disadvantages of using more/less percentage of free disk space used for virtual system?

2. Does the version without virus guard have an anti-executable?

3. Can I run a check disk with system safe disabled?

Thank you.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Thankful,
    The most important thing to consider here is to ensure you have adequate space to allow you day-to-day activities without interruption (ex: need to restart because the cache is full) with a little bit of slack to address the occasional uptick in activity.

Yes

Yes, as this is the only time you can do this.

Mike

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

As a follow-up to my first question, before installing Returnil I was using approx. 5GB of 150 GB hard drive. Do I need to use 77.5 Gb (50% usage) of my hard drive to virtualize my system? It seems quite excessive.

Thanks.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Keep in mind that the following is true:

1. RVS will "reserve" the maximum percentage of available free space when you turn on the virtualization

2. Space is only used as required "on-the-fly"

3. The actual maximum size the cache can grow to is not 50% of the total space of the HDD, but 50% of the available free space.

What does #3 mean?

*You have a 120 GB HDD
    *The default setting in RVS is to use a MAXIMUM of 50% of the free space
    *Windows takes up 10 GB

This means that your cache would only be able to grow to a maximum size of 55 GB before the computer would need to be restarted to reset the cache.

This may be excessive or it may not be, depending on how you use your computer, how often you make changes, and (perhaps) how long before you restart the computer (ref: system on 24/7 except for specific maintenance cycles or to reset the cache). We deliberately set the the cache to 50% to establish a good starting point that should also deliver a good user experience to minimize the potential for interrupting a user during their normal day-to-day computing.

Could this be too large? Yes, it may be and is why we strongly suggest that the user experiment with cache sizing to tweak this setting to an optimal level for their environment. One size does not necessarily fit all, but more people can fit into a 3x sweat shirt even if it looks like they are wearing a tent - smaller people would simply tailor the garment to fit properly as would those needing 4x...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.