Some questions about Vista

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Feb22, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb22

Feb22 Guest

Hi again!

As a Vista user, I got some questions that I am curious of. :oops:

First is, is Vista a failure like Windows ME?

Second, when will Vista SP2 come out? Will it improve just like how XP improved?

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Failure? Depending who you ask. I think it's a disaster.
    Vista SP2 = Windows 7.

Mrk

3. Feb22

Feb22 Guest

Hi!

Disaster, hmm...:argh:
    I wonder why MS is spreading out Vista like an infectious disease. :mad:
    Thanks anyways. :)

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That really depends on who you ask.

Vista is a perfect target for Microsoft bashers due to its system requirements - which, in all fairness, are relatively high. Personally I think the only reasons you shouldn't upgrade to Vista are: 1) you can't afford it, or b) you don't have the hardware specs to run it.

If those two scenarios don't apply to you, I can't think of any reason why you should use XP instead of Vista. It's more stable and secure, more user-friendly, visually appealing, and by default supports a number of technologies and architectures that XP doesn't (those that are important to me right now are richer audio output, IPv6 and default WPA2 wireless encryption support).

Vista is not ME by any means; it's just that it's "cool" to bash it these days, with many of the bashers coming from the pool of users that are unable to use it because of price and hardware specs issues.

5. Feb22

Feb22 Guest

Thanks!
    I wonder if Vista will improve in the next SP release. :doubt:

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In what ways would you like it to improve?

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

That is like the classic question: When did you stop beating your wife?

8. Feb22

Feb22 Guest

A lot of things. :D
    Mainly the compatibility issues.
    Although it is improved, I find it lacking in terms of compatibility.:eek:

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have had no issues whatsoever relating to compatibility. I use Vista x64 and have never once had problems installing or running ANY app. Been using it for almost a year now and no complaints. No driver issues either.

Are you speaking from experience, or just repeating things you've heard? I suggest you give it a try and see for yourself. :)

10. AKAJohnDoe

I found some older applications were not 100% compatible; wanting to save user data into \Program Files\ for instance, but that is hardly a Vista issue.

11. sded

sded Registered Member

I had a few compatibility issues two years ago when I first started using Vista, but they cleared up within a few months as hardware vendors released new drivers. And as software vendors released upgrades. Really a result of vendor cost deferral in not doing the upgrades until the last minute. Still have a few older programs that don't work quite right with UAC on and would be expensive to upgrade, but UAC was enough of a nuisance in other ways that I disabled it anyway. Do run browsers with lowered privileges, though. So I am quite pleased with the added stability and features of Vista compared to XP, in spite of what I did and do hear about it. Enough so that when I bought a second laptop I chose Vista Home Premium in spite of XP downgrades being available.
    BTW, I was also an early adopter of XP (not beta though) and that was a real disaster compared to Vista. Took a long time to get things stabilized; almost went back to W2K instead because of all the early release issues. And drivers/software from W2K that were supposed to work and didn't. Drove me to buying imaging software to recover from disasters. Thank you, Acronis!
    Also, most of the reports say that the Vista/W7 upgrade compatibility is looking pretty good; don't know about XP to W7?

12. Feb22

Feb22 Guest

Hi,
    I'm not repeating things I've heard, it's from my experience. :D
    Take care.

13. AKAJohnDoe

Pfffttt!

Specifics, please?

14. Arup

Arup Guest

When I first installed XPx64 and Ubuntu x64, people kept telling me about issues, in my case, XPx64 gave me none, specially after SP2, it has worked for everything I have thrown at it. In case of Ubuntu, with Intrepid x64 and now with Adobe and Java both giving us x64 plugins, I have had absolutely no issues at all. In terms of compatibility, Vista x64 SP1 is as good as XPx64 SP2, almost everything works except for some obscure stuff and driver support is totally regular now.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will give you an issue with vista ultimate 64. Having an intel mobo with ich7r chip, and new or old drivers, or the ones that ship with vista or sp1, hdd read/writes totally blow. I mean, really, absolutely blow. An hour to install CoD4, from a hdd. Conversely, running install from same hdd files, on vista 32, takes about 11 minutes. Still, a very very slow pace compared to the 4 minutes XP installs it in.

I consider that an issue. And one that I hate.

Sul.

16. littlebity

littlebity Registered Member

I went from XP Pro to Vista, not from because that`s what I wanted but because it was already installed. It is taking awhile to get use too but after all the updates it seems to be working pretty good.
    The only thing I`m having an issue with is the way it displays some web sites.
    Like I play on Pogo nearly every night and I can`t get it to display the way it did in XP. So i`ll keep searching till I figure it out, unless some has an idea. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.