some questions about returnil free

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by ams963, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Sandboxie only protects what's in the sandbox, Anything & Everything else out of it is fair game for malware.

Returnil on the other hand is "supposed" to protect all areas of the "chosen" HD.

So running both together is extra protection.

AFAIK, Returnil's AV is designed to work alongside "most" other AV/AM etc, without issues.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

There is also another aspect arising out of the difference between system and application virtualisation.

Because RSS/RVS works at the disk level, the virtualisation technology does not need to be updated to support changes to other applications. Sandboxie, because it works at the application level, does need to be regularly updated. In this particular respect, system virtualisation is the more durable approach.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Suddenly everyone forgets about Avast AutoSandbox (except for me of course). Until the OP posts otherwise, I'd still say Returnil is not necessary.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't think anybody's forgetting about Avast AutoSandbox but this is primarily a thread about Returnil, not Avast. :)

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The F-Prot engine is only a part of the technology in the Virus Guard which also has our own technology and we have designed the VG to be compatible with most 1st and 2nd trier AVs out there, including Avast. The problems usually happen (rarely, but do occur) where order of install may be important for peaceful coexistence. In the latest versions of Avast!, its sandbox or other component technologies may interfere with the proper installation of the virtualization and monitoring drivers in RSS so you may need to uninstall both Avast! and RSS, then install (completely) RSS and then reinstall Avast! to eliminate and potential blocking and get a smooth user experience.

As for updating Avast!, the only real "issue" would be that it would update, run as expected, but need to be re-updated once the virtualization is released in RSS/RVS or when the computer is restarted due to the fact that the changes made to update Avast! would be lost at restart. If said update requires registry changes, you will not be able to address saving said updates to the real disk totally though the File Manager in the paid versions of the software; rather, you may need to make use of the real disk browser tool to make individual changes to the registry.

The fastest way to deal with this would be to simply deactivate the virtualization in RSS/RVS and then force an Avast! update once a day (computer turned off frequently) or once a week (computer on all the time and virtualized).

Mike

6. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

This is true. I had problems with Returnil when I installed it after the AV and Firewall. It caused the computer to be unstable. It did this even if I deactivated the AV and firewall. Something with the AV and/or firewall was preventing Returnil from installing properly. I reinstalled Windows and installed Returnil first and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.