Some questions about Process Guard

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by AnthonyG, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, can i ask as i am not entirely sure from reading the diamond web site and some posts here in the diamond forum does process guard actually have an active scan which prevents all types of trojans entering your computer or does it allow them on but doesnt let them execute once there on. I have read it prevents rootkit trojans from entering your computer but they are only a small proportion of current trojans so i would like to stop them all.

Also how is it at stopping exploit byte verify. Does it stop this too or is it just trojans as this is the main thing i see pop up on the internet, and after i done an online scan with panda (i use mcafee enterprise as my resident AV) it found my machine teaming with exploit byte verify so i want something to ulitimately stop this alongside trojans.

Fianlly i notice you say it stops malicious programs from executing can i ask does this also cover premium rate malicious dialers as in my opinion the program would be worth its weight in gold if it stopped them from executing and running up large phone bills all the time. So how is it at stopping them?

Thank you for your timeAnthony

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Anthon1uk, ProcessGuard will protect you from many Trojans by way of it's execution and process protection by not allowing them to run their dropper or if that failed allowing them to install a service or driver (rootkits) but will not protect you from many other types of Trojans or Spyware Trojans.
    For this I would recommentd TDS3 and a dedicated anti-spyware program such as MS-antispyware, AdAware and Javacools tools.
    A layered defence is the best way to protect your precious PC and data

HTH Pilli

3. TechDunce

TechDunce Guest

I understood that the free PG only guarded one process but my free one block all progs until I allow them. Is htere some way I should be set up for one and if so which is most important
    Thanks and excuse me jumping into this thread
    TechDunce

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

PG v2 Free was limited to protecting one process only - PG v3 Free can protect an unlimited number, but cannot block driver/service/hook installs (i.e. it can protect your security programs from being interfered with, but cannot limit new malware installation like the full version can).

As for what programs to protect, any security software (anti-virus/anti-trojan scanners, firewalls, registry monitors) and any software given Internet access should be listed (some trojans attempt to gain network access by hijacking other software). Other programs should be added if they need special privileges to work (e.g. mouse/touchpad drivers will need to be allowed to install hooks, some software may need physical memory access, etc).

Running every program while Process Guard is in Learning Mode (which it defaults to upon installation) is the easiest method of doing this since all these entries will be made for you - but control freaks may prefer to start with a blank list, check the PG logs to see what was blocked and only add entries for those programs they feel appropriate.

5. TechDunce

TechDunce Guest

I have noticed that when the computer is on screensaver the PG asks if I want to allow defrag.exe? I am not set to defrag when on screensaver
    Thanks

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi TechDance, Defrag may start when the screesaver comes on as a backround task there are ways of topping it I believe using tools such as XP-Antispy : http://www.xp-antispy.org/

HTH Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.