some questions about Google Chrome

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by puma_one, May 13, 2016.

1. puma_one

puma_one Registered Member

Hello,

What do you think about some affirmations presented on the net about Google Chrome :

1) Google Chrome could stay in function even if the browser is off...

2) There are a lot of difficulties to delete Google Chrome from a computer...

More generally, do you think there are real arguments to not use Google Chrome ?

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

1. of course not;
    2. there isn't any difficulty, why should be?
    3. "More generally, do you think there are real arguments to not use Google Chrome ?" - of course not.
    But in the end, after all, everyone decides, what to believe or what do not believe.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't understand about being in function when closed? If you mean that chrome process is running in background, I didn't experience that.
    I installed and uninstalled it few times and didn't have any problems.
    "Real arguments" - I don't know what exactly those would be. But I don't have any that is important to me. Otherwise I wouldn't be using it.

4. puma_one

puma_one Registered Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Probably a lot of rumors about Google Chrome on the web...

In the meantime I have installed Google Chrome. I had difficulties with the update of the Adobe Flash Player with Firefox... Google Chrome seems to be much more convenient about Flash.

5. Minimalist

Yes it's much more convenient. Your browser and flash will be updated automatically, so you don't have to worry about it.

6. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

I've only used Chrome very briefly, probably for about 2 hrs... and that was last week! So take what I say with a grain of salt as there are plenty of other members here who know their stuff...

You 1) triggered something I saw in Advanced Settings. There was a tickbox that sounds something like "keep objects/functions running after the close of Chrome". Could this possibly be what you are referring to? In regards to your 2), I had a very easy time uninstalling it. A couple of folders were left behind and 1 or 2 entries in registry, but that is all and was easily cleaned.

In regards to the Flash issue with Firefox, it shouldn't be a drama. Maybe we can help with that too! I think Chrome uses a non-Adobe version of Flash called Pepper Flash, so no wonder you have had a nice time with it!

In relation to @Minimalist comment above... I still cannot believe how quick browsing was on Chrome! One thing that tickled my fancy with Chome was that I could have Javascript disabled in Advanced Settings, but my AdGuard Assistant would still load up on browser screen! <--- this is something I am yet to achieve on Firefox

EDIT: Have any long-term Chrome users managed to get Chrome installed to Program Files instead of User Profile folder?

7. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I think if you are a user with concerned about online privacy, Google Chrome is not the best browser for you. Not only because it is from Google or closed-source, but because Firefox through extensions as Privacy Settings, NoScript (I don't know if Chrome has a similar extension) you can have more control over what is shared or sent.

I would like to hear from you about it.

8. Minimalist

You can install it in program files folder if you select an option Install Chrome for all accounts from here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/126299?hl=en

9. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

most of the scary stuff can be turned off, the only thing I observed with all the stuff turned off is that every single website tries to access google analytics, even things like accessing a lan router gui page. But its all blocked on my chrome by safescript.

Also yes my chrome is installed in program files.

download the standalone version.

For the curious where is my startup flags. Everything with OFF in it is not been used.

Also unlike firefox dev's chrome dev's actually listen to feedback, e.g. they caused a ruckus with changes to smooth scrolling a month or so ago, and the dev's listened making the --enable-smooth-scrolling work again.

Code:
    start chrome.exe --cipher-suite-blacklist=0x009c,0xc009,0xc00a,0xcc15,0x009e --enable-ssl-false-start --disable-3d-apis --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --disableOFF-backing-store-limit --disable-breakpad --disable-client-side-phishing-detection --disable-cloud-import --enable-direct-write --disable-java --disable-password-generation --disable-preconnect --enable-remote-fonts --disable-webgl --disable-webrtc --disk-cache-dir=R:/CHROME2 --disk-cache-size=524288000 --dns-prefetch-disable --enable-async-dns  --disable-potentially-annoying-security-features --disableOFF-precise-memory-info --disable-strict-mixed-content-checking --enableOFF-strict-powerful-feature-restrictions --enable-smooth-scrolling --enableOFF-tcp-fastopen --processOFF-per-tab --disable-background-mode --no-pings --disable-hyperlink-auditing --purge-memory-button --enable-offline-auto-reload-visible-only --disable-sync --disable-offline-pages --prerenderOFF-from-omnibox=disabled --disableOFF-prerender-local-predictor --isolateOFF-extensions --disableOFF-views-rect-based-targeting --disable-simple-cache-backend --disableCRASH-directwrite-for-ui --disable-gpu-memory-buffer-compositor-resources --disableOFF-native-gpu-memory-buffers --disableOFF-renderer-backgrounding --enableOFF-accelerated-vpx-decode noOFF-displaying-insecure-content --num-raster-threads=4 --enable-experimental-canvas-features --show-saved-copy --enable-zero-copy

10. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Even with using clear browsing data in Chrome the Internet cache remains, the only way I have found to delete it is by using CCleaner. IMO the forget browsing ability of Firefox is much better. Quiet frankly the only reason I use Chrome is because Firefox does not play well with Adobe Flash if this were not the case I would go back to Firefox P.D.Q. it is much faster than Chrome and it's functions are much better again IMO. I guess my question is Chrome can you do a better job in this area?
    Always,
    Wildman

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can use command line arguments to make the Internet cache stay on a RAM disk or something. But if Chrome is your default browser, and it opened via some other program (not using your special shortcut), then the cache will still be there. Since they helpfully disabled registry enforcing of the cache location, you'll need group policy to do that.

12. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@J_L I had that issue as well, where clicking a link from Thunderbird or other apps opened Chromium with default profile/cache location instead of my RAM disk location. However, I did a quick search and replace within the registry below and it always loads within my RAM disk cache area.

Code:
    "R:\Program Files\Chromium\bin\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=..\profile -- "%1"
    Anyway. this trick is working on version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) currently.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Isn't your entire Chrome installation on the RAM disk? I don't save images of it, so I wouldn't want to move my user profile there.

Also, I remember doing something just like that, but after a while Chrome updates revert it back...

Before I've settled with symbolic links, but those eventually get replaced as well. Now I just let Edge be my default browser.

14. WildByDesign

Yes, that's correct. I've got the Chromium executables running from R:\Program Files\Chromium\bin and the profile located at R:\Program Files\Chromium\profile. I generally don't save images of the RAM disk either, with the exception of when Chromium or Thunderbird receive updates, in that case I will save an image.

I purposefully lose my Chromium cache each session. I use the Chromium builds from chromium.woolyss.com which have audio/video codecs built in and utilize the sync feature to synchronize bookmarks/extensions so that I don't lose important bookmarks or Chromium settings/flags between sessions.

They also have builds which are compiled without WebRTC or Google API's for better privacy but I have not tried those builds as of yet since the API's are far too convenient..

15. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

interesting, so thats chromium with the netflix codecs included?

The main reason I use chrome instead of chromium is that chromium didnt have those codecs included, same as opera.

They missing the beta version tho (currently v51), seems they skip that build and supply either alpha or stable.

16. WildByDesign

Yes, that's correct. The developer simply enables the flag to enable the same codecs used by Google Chrome during compilation of the source code. You're right, they have builds following the daily bleeding edge releases and the stable channel, but nothing in between like beta. I personally use the stable builds there, but many users there use the daily bleeding edge builds as well with usually good stability, although there are some issues that come up from time to time. So the stable release builds are identical to the Google Chrome builds, minus the digital signatures though.

And for the Google-fearing, privacy-minded folks, they've also got the builds which disable WebRTC and Google API's during compilation and also include the tweak during compilation to remove that user profile thing from the title bar that a lot of users are still bothered by. You've also got the option to use those builds as normal installations or entirely portable (including Flash) with the addition of chrlauncher (http://www.henrypp.org/product/chrlauncher) for users who desire portable functionality. It's a combined effort by several developers that have come together to collaborate there and the credibility they've built is been stellar for quite some time now. I further protect my Chromium binaries with EMET and MemProtect on my RAM disk partition and these builds perform beautifully.

17. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

1. Yes. Though it depends if you have an extension that can run in the background(like DotVPN) and have "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" enabled.
    2. Depends. If something goes wrong during an uninstallation process it can be very difficult to remove some folders. Though a simple reboot can fix the problem.

18. guest

guest Guest

Chrome can use Appcontainer and sandboxes its plug-in; it is enough to me to ditch all other browsers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.