Some questions about Emsisoft Anti-Malware please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I am trying the trial version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I have some question in considering keeping it in paid version please:

1) In trial, the most frequent I can have updates is 30 minutes. Is that same for paid or can you have it more frequent in paid. If same, is that frequent enough and does it have any push or streaming updates if something really important happens?

2) I might get a year license for 3 PCs and use it on 3 PCs. On one of those PCs I reset the image every 4 to 5 months, just for clean up garbage files left from various games, etc. that I installed and uninstalled during that time. The image is a fresh image with just Windows updates to that point and I reinstall all programs I want. Can I install Emsisoft on that same PC after refreshing the image and use the same license key, or would it consider that a 4th PC and the license would not work on it?

2. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

1) As far as I know there are no limitations between a trial or a full license. Regarding update frequency in general. If you have the internet connection for pulse updates, you also have a connection to the cloud, making the necessity of signature updates much less of an issue.

2) No problem here. If the system doesn't automatically recognize the computer, you will get a pop-up showing the three computers with active licenses and you can choose the one you want to replace.

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not aware of Emsisoft having "pulse updates". Signatures are definitely updated every hour; other updates, like for the built-in host rules, can occur at other times too.

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I did not say that EAM had pulse updates. I just meant that if you want extremely frequent updates, you need to have an internet connection, and if you have an internet connection, frequent updates become less important, because the cloud can always be consulted.

5. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Do most check or uncheck:

Under File Guard options tab - Only scan files with the following extensions:

Emsisoft says it is more secure to uncheck it but faster performance with it checked, and it is checked by default.

Any other drawbacks besides performance if you uncheck it? more false positives or anything?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

1. Thirty minutes between updates is most of the times fast enough. Just try it yourself and see that many of the updates will not download anything at all.

2. Yes you can re-install EAM and use the license over and over as long as its not expired of course. I know because i do it myself.

3. You answered yourself, if you check the option it will only scan files with specific extensions and most common ones for infections. Personally i have it unchecked. :D

7. worgeordie

worgeordie Registered Member

I have been a happy user of Emsisoft for quiet a few years now,and never had
    an infection of any kind,I have just renewed my 6 licenses for an other year.
    regards Worgeordie

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Host rules are updated every 15 minutes in average.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Really?
    Could be possible but the actual malware signatures are usually updated every hour or so. (Sometimes a bit faster and sometimes slower)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.