Some MasterCard holders exposed to data theft

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thats awful.It makes a person afraid even to use a credit card :rolleyes: My card number was recently stolen somehow online.I received my statement and there was a charge to somewhere I didnt make.I had never even heard of this website,so I call the company and reported it and told them I'd never heard of this place,and the guy laughed and said"I know what it is"so he told me it was an adult website.I had been charged $30.00 for it.Anyway I had to file a fraud report,and be issued another card--a big hassle.I'm leary now of using a card online.In some cases it's neccesary though,so whats a person to do?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita

You are doing the right thing. Keep an eye on your statement. If something is not right, notify the card company.
    If there is a phone number to do business on, that might be a better way to go.

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

There was a phone number and I called it immediately soon as I seen the statement

5. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Evening all
    this is what I did to combat the risk of cardjacking.
    1.- Contacted my bank and asked them to open a subsidiary account for me in addition to my main account with No Overdraught facility, asked them to name the account in such a way that it was different to my main account.
    2. asked the bank for a debit card, active only on the subsidiary account.
    3.- transferred a small amount (say£100) to the second account.
    4. Only use the second account for online purchases etc through the Debit card.

simple, it took about 45 minutes, and even if my account is scammed, my exposure is limited.

Jock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.