Some Java settings won't stick

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

The settings I refer to are in Control Panel>Java>Updates Tab & Advanced Tab.

In the Updates Tab>Advanced, I set the schedule to check Weekly instead of Monthly, clicked OK and Apply. But when I close the Java Control Panel window and reopen it and check the setting it's reverted back to the default of Monthly.

The same thing in the Advanced Tab>Miscellaneous>Place Java icon in system tray. If I uncheck it, click OK and Apply, it still reverts back to being checked when I close and reopen the Java Control Panel.

I'm doing everything right as far as I know. All the other tweaks stick, it's just these two. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to make these two problem children will behave. I'm aware that I could simply leave them as they are but would prefer to tweak them if possible.

Thanks! :D

2. allizomeniz

Okay...I think it was User Account Control. I turned it off, restarted, changed the settings, turned it back on and restarted again. They seem to be holding now, hopefully they stay that way.

That stupid UAC is starting to drive me nuts. It's getting where it won't let me do anything even though I'm the Administrator. Think it's finally time to shut it off for good. :D

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You must be using either Windows 7 or Vista and yes, the culprit is UAC.

To make the Java control panel settings stick, you cannot change the settings from the Windows Control Panel.

You should go to your Program Files Java folder, look for javacpl.exe, then do a right-click to select "Run as Administrator", make your changes and they will stick for sure ! :D

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thanks! This has drove me nuts for a long time.

6. allizomeniz

I wasn't aware of javacpl.exe, that should make things a lot easier if I need it in the future. :D

Since I changed the setting with UAC off it's holding okay.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You should turn UAC back on for some (small) added security.:p

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok cool that does work on 7.

error on sun's part imo. when you click apply after changing the settings it should ask for admin rights via UAC popup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.