Some Internet problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by G1111, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Besides my router problems (I have in a separate post) I am also having some Internet problems. I can update some programs from websites but others won't. For instance I can update from Ghost Security and Kaspersky but not Outpost Pro (anti-spyware module) or I can't have Windows Update (Microsoft) check my computer for the latest patches (although I am current XP, SP2 all patches through March 2006 installed). This started Friday. I had some problems with installing the latest editon of KAV personal 5. I uninstalled and did clean install of KAV. I also ran the Internet connection using the modem only (no router) and having the same Internet problems.

Also if I try and play a music video (Yahoo Launch, CMT, etc.) That doesn't work either. Made sure I had the latest version of Java, which I do. I ran all kinds of virus scans (KAV, UnhackMe, Ad-Aware, TrojanHunter, Blacklight, Rootkit Revealer) and all were clean. Something corrupted somewhere. Without reformatting the hard drive anyone have any ideas? As far as I can tell all other software works okay, just some things aren't working through the Internet.

2. nicM

nicM nico-nico

looks like a firewall settings problem, isn't it? Are you running Outpost in Block ALL or Block Most policy?

You should try to set it on Ask policy, if it isn't the current one, to check if you're prompted for theses programs.

Cheers,
    nicM

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Tried that and it wasn't the firewall.

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Are there any good diagnostic utilities I can run to see if a file(s) was corrupted?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

did u disable the network protection in KAV? u dont need it if u have a full firewall (outpost) installed.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

WSFuser - I will double check that. I am pretty sure in the set up I went to custom to disable ADS tags and disable network protection, but I will double check. Assuming that is not the problem I noticed some things work and some don't see my post:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=714476&postcount=22

I thought it was both a router and Windows problem. Looks like something got corrupted in Windows. I know the initial update to KAV on Friday was bad. I forgot to change the settings in ProcessGuard and the initial installation of the latest KAV personal (ver 5) did not take so I did a clean install. I also ran CCleaner and RegSeeker before the second install attempt of KAV. Seems that's when I started having problems.

Did check KAV and network protection was disabled. Anyhow did an uninstall an reinstall of both KAV (without ADS tags or network protection) also did the same with Outpost Pro firewall and the problems persist.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.