Some HDD help?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TrBot, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Windows will not pick up my 40gb drive. I have tried it as Master and Slave on both IDE cables. The thing is, it actually DOES power up, cos I hear it start up, AND if I touch it it is humming and vibrating, but it will not be detected.

I tried using a Windows 98 Bootable cd, and obviously I got:

"Windows has detected that drive C does not contain a valid partition" etc, BUT when I go to FDISK it says "No fixed drives present"......I can't partition it.

System Specs (if necessary)

Celeron 900mhz
    Radeon 9200SE
    256 ram

*I have tried the drive in another pc, ages ago, but same thing. It was in a NON internet pc so a virus is doubtful.

Any help?

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, your bios could only support up to a certain size HDD (10,20,30GB?) what size HDD was in it before?

I have an old PC from 1996 running a Pentium Pro and it doesn't support drives larger than 8.5GB, however I can run an old 10GB Maxtor in it fine, I just can't use it fully.

it may be your bios, or it may be Microsoft's Fdisk, I'd check and make sure your bios are recognizing the drive first, then from there download a copy of Free Fdisk - I think it may just be Microsoft's Fdisk - download http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/ it supports drives up to 128GB.

3. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Thanks I will give it a try and get back to you/

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

or you can format it with the install cd from microsoft (if you have it offcourse)

5. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Nope. Bios will NOT pick it up at all.

Another thing I just noticed is that it heats up fairly quickly too.

6. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Well I triied bios and also using a PCI Raid card...nope, Raid card didn't detect it.

Oh well :'( so I guess it is dead?

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

If it heats up fast, and the BIOS don't detect it, then its dead. If its new, send it back, if its not, well, you'll just have to buy another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.